Wax Jackets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Hi mate

I've got a Barbour Beaufort, I like it a lot, hard wearing and waterproof as long as you look after it. I'm looking at getting a liner for winter for mine just to make it a bit cosier first thing in the morning.

Brian

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
I hate them :soapbox:

To heavy, to hot and uncomfortable to work in. Saying that, they are built fantastically well ( Can't be a British product then.......can it?!!) I have one hung up around here somewhere that I first had when I was 16, I will give this to Jess ( Jack Jnr) when he is 16 as it will help him build up some muscle.........he is going top need some muscle if he is going to where it!

So Barbour stands the money and will last a life time. The have had this icon status for many years as it was a standard piece of the uniform that people had to wear to be accepted as a 'countryman'............along with all the other bits of the 'outfit' - Hunter wellies etc etc! Of, course, this mind set is about as deep as an infants swimming pool and the shallow end at that!

I wear a light weight wax jacket the cost me £49 from our local agricultural merchants and funny enough, it is one of the best bits of clothing that I have ever owned. This jacket has seen me through, and kept me dry throughout some of the wettest winters we have had since records began.

These days, I view Barbour, as being slightly old fashioned and dated, like most of the 'English country wear'. ...........just have a look at the Blood Sports for that confirmation!

There are some wonderful alternatives out there now days.......but I still do like natural fibres and they are wonderful value for money.

............ my wife and I do own one of these from Filson http://www.filson.com/product/index...&cp=2065676.2065769.2117308&parentPage=family

Now those jackets are something else!

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
I would probably never run across one but I wonder how well the cape like the foot guards use would work. It might work fine on the square and it might work better in the woods--we will never know. It is just an alternative idea but you might get funnier looks than if you were using an umbrella. You couldn't use a high riding backpack, though, but you have the same problem with an ordinary poncho.

When I was in the US Army in Germany in the late 1960's, a few soldiers had modified their ponchos by having an army blanket, trimmed to fit, sewn inside. They were quite heavy but worked and were a good idea. But I think that would be a little over the top for backpacking.

Currently the US Army has, or did have, something called a poncho liner, which is a light nylon and polyester quilt the exact same size as the issue ponco with tapes or cords to attach it to the poncho itself, which makes it sort of like the modified ponchos I just described. Only there is no hole for the head, so the idea is not carried to its logical conclusion. Poncho liners with a hole are available commercially, however.

I do have an issue US Army parka, the current one of Gore-Tex that works very well under certain circumstances, less well under most. It is easily my heaviest garment but I don't have anything that works as well in freezing rain, which we seem to have as often as we do snow where I live. In fact I had spent a night in the woods a couple of years ago when I wish I had one. I had chosen to camp on a ridge, mainly because it was the best location in spite of the exposed location. The first day was nice and warm but the next morning the temperature dropped and it started with a light rain. By the time I had got back to my car, the rain had started to freeze. So, if nothing else, it proved how much the weather can change in the mountains.

I did get around to actually looking at some Barbour jackets at a saddle shop just down the road from where I work. The are expensive here. All were over $300 and none of them come in a "long," which I am. Filson is about two-thirds of that price, though there are almost no compable garments in the two lines.

Aug 29, 2010
UK
Hi Guys, Not quite a wax jacket but I recently bought this really cool leather Panther replica from a UK vendor. I'm really imressed with it and have been riding my motorcycle in it since Oct and it's getting better everyday. Best thing is it only cost £169 delivered !

Here's some video;

[video=vimeo;18559076]http://vimeo.com/18559076[/video]

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
In spite of raving about combat smocks, the one jacket I actually use most often, if necessary, for outings when camping or doing a long walk, is a simple, unlined cotton jacket that I've had for twenty years or so. It is Swedish, I think. I don't have it with me but the label has one of those curled up foxes. The pockets are nice and it fits over everything I need to wear when it is cold (barely, now). I tend to save it for outings now.

It is merely "windproof." I have tried coating it with spray-on silicone or something like that from a can but the results have not been particularly noteworthy. But I usually wear a plain old (everything I have is old) poncho if it is that wet.

Have you noticed how there is a lot of Swedish stuff mentioned on this forum?

This needs a coat of greenland wax, from fjallraven, which is the manufacturer of the coat!

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have a Barbour "Cowan Commando" and it's a fantastic jacket..

a551.jpg

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
An other one for the Barbour International with no belt... they have become thee jacket for the hipster around town, just means we're fashion leaders rather than followers...
jon

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I am parting with my old Barbour Solway Zipper as I find that I don't really hunt any more.They are totally bombproof though:a bit like having a small shed to stand in when it's raining! I do more climbing and walking nowadays so got a Proshell jacket instead.It's on the Bay if you want one but would cost a fortune to post to the States!!
Wax jackets are certainly weatherproof if well maintained and much quieter than Goretex style fabrics for hunting and stalking.The only big disadvantage is the weight IMHO.
Cheers , Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE