Wattle log shelter from Rough Close Hazel.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Just finished the 3 main sides of my third shelter to hopefully enable a year round store of logs for the central heating and hot water.

For this shelter I had no money what-so-ever and have always wanted to attempt hurdle making using split hazel, so when Decorum said "help me cut some hazel coppice down under power lines at the Mids meet, it seemed rude not to make this. :thinkerg:

Its "rough" mind, as its my first go at this and I was running short on the nice sections, but it'll do me and the logs just fine I reckon.

100_2310.jpg

100_2311.jpg

EDIT: Roof on and a few chopped up :)

100_2493.jpg

100_2496.jpg

Its high at the front for ease of entry and water run off, from the roof. Old canvas material from a scout tent (cheers Bodge) will be the roof with some poles at the front supporting poles under the canvas, to the back and sides.

Just got to fill it now with all that lumpy stuff under those tarps in front. :D

Addo :)

Last edited:

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Nice work, I think you're three short though! Yoink!

I thought that when I was near the finish! :rolleyes: :)

No worries though you wern't to know that the poles lying in the wood wern't from a clearance job, and it ment I used all the small ones to finish the side.

Need to find some coppice a little closer to home for the roof and supports though, so I can chop and fill soon as.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
actually missed out on a load of hazel recently, the council came along and cleared a large section and just used chippers to chew it all up :/
have to see about doing something like this in my garden, i've got a bike that won't fit in my shed thanks to the amount of junk in there...

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
The roofs on now using old canvas, hazel frame and garden canes to stop it puddling :)

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Oh no, I hate this website. Everyday I come on here and find yet another thing that I like the look of and want to give a go. Why are weekends so short and the working week so long! Still, love this, now to scale it down and sort the hazel out the the leccy board cut down in our wood.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Interesting build. Well done!
I would of put a floor down, even just old pallets. An air space underneath speeds up the drying a real lot as ground moisture cant wick up into the logs. When you lashd the braces in at the corner, you could have got a long pole, and use a couple of twist and bends to make a large U shape then stick them down alongside the weave of the uprights. Stronger than the lashing as you arent depending on the string for strength. And when your done with the shed the hazel makes fantastic kinderling....:)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great work Addo:) and thats rough! love to see a neat one ;)

This is neat hurdle making. Top end stuff, and a nice chap too.

http://www.underwoodcrafts.co.uk/hurdles.html

I just used plantex material as a floor for now, as ive loads left over from landscaping days. When I properly stack this one for seasoning, I'll put a frame over that to lift the logs off the ground for air flow. I think i'll make some proper hurdles next for fencing in the garden, so hopefully I'll pick up the proper skills of twisting ect then :)

Cheers for the comments

T

The jatsman

Nice one Addo, nice axes, I'm gonna be needing a log store myself now, set me thinking....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE