Waterproofs for cyclists???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
We all just got new bikes. I haven't cycled in years, and daughter had started cycling to and from school daily. I have being out cycling on some really fun muddy disused lanes across the old coalfields. So now I have question for you more experienced cross country cyclists.

What do you wear to keep the rain and mud off?

The standard waterproofs I wear look like a really good way of making sure i steam in my own sweat. But I am worried that ponchos would get caught in the wheels or breaks. The old coal lane is the short cut to the town centre and I don't want to look like I have being mud wrestling when we get there.

Cycling is a surprisingly good way of spotting hedgerow goodies like rosehips.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I don't know the answer but I remember when I had a saturday job at an Outdoors shop they had waterproof coats specifically for cycling - they had huge pit zips and were longer at the back to cover your bum. Think it was made by Vaude.

No idea what you could do for the bottom half.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I started road racing early last year and have thus been through two (half) winter seasons. I use a waterproof jacket from montane. Velo something. On the legs I use woolen tights, I don't get cold or at least I don't feel wet on the legs. An essential thing on a bike that is going to be used in wet or muddy conditions is mud guards (or fenders?) with mudflaps, these latter things are extremely effecient.

I don't know if any of these tips are of any use since it's very different kinds of cycling, but the jacket is real good and so is mudflaps.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
keep an eye out in lidl and aldi, they did a run of brilliant cycling gear a while ago and it was the luminous yellow waterproofs with vented underarms etc, you know the arms are longer and the back is really long to cover you up.
halfords will have these but your paying through the nose really.
i'll echo what big swede says with the mudguards too, never a better penny spent imho, saves you much hastle.
also look into a decent set of LED lights, they're pretty cheap now but give very good visibility in the rain etc.
i'll ask the two semi-pro cyclers in work about gear sites for you, they'll know where to get the best stuff. last year one of em did the iron man tourny in switzerland. something like his 5th time. loves it he does (nutter i swear ;)
pete

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I do a bit of cycling too and find that even in the rain and cold we get up here, waterproof trews are just too warm as your legs are working all the time. I'm a big fan of Endura kit and love their MT500 range of stuff, the bib longs are great, a little expensive but they've lasted me about 5 years and don't look too tatty... :rolleyes: Up top I wear an Endura jacket which has as Stew points out a scooped back and pit zips under this depends on how cold it is, from cold to mild, a (guess what, Endura!) MT500 top or a merino top or a HH lifa. Reallt thin beany under the helmet, a snoody thing if it's really bitter and gloves. Sealskin socks too. To avoid the mudwrestler look can I suggest Crud Catchers (mud guards for MTBs) they should help.

Cheers,

Alan

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
It largely depends on how intense you ride. if your happy to just tootle along, then pretty much anything will do, but if you cycle far or push on, expensive breathable waterproofs cant really cope. Your best bet is something like pertex to keep the wind out, and then just get wet. leg wise, youre as well off in shorts for about 10 months of the year, perhaps longs if its really cold, but you soon warm up. But any kind of waterproof trousers and youll sweat like a pig. Mud guards are definately worth using tho.

Dirk Diggler

Jan 19, 2009
Stockport
I concur with Chainsaw, Endura make some excellent gear, the Rainproof/windproof jackets are very good all year round, also worth considering are dhb, they do a range of everything aimed more at the cheaper end of the market but still very good gear.
have a look at http://www.wiggle.co.uk you usually get a free gift like some cycling glasses if your first order is over £50. Also deliver is very good.

BossCat

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2008
Scotland
I just got a new bike a few months back, its what they call a Hybred - Mountian/Roadbike. I asked about FULL mudguards for it at my local shop, the shopowner told me that its only those short mudguards they do that are designed for MB.
Iv'e been trying to find a decent full set of mudgards as those short ones are a waste of time. Fair enough they do keep some of the mud of you but they are always rooster tail splatters of mud up your back.

I plan to make some mudguard flaps from some rubber that a mate is getting me but you can buy them. I have also seen leather mudflaps for sale.

mudflaps.jpg

Make your own from leather as in pic above - http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/08/diy_leather_mud_guards_fo.html

TC

camping2.gif
Campfire2.gif

xylaria

It largely depends on how intense you ride. if your happy to just tootle along, then pretty much anything will do, but if you cycle far or push on, expensive breathable waterproofs cant really cope. Your best bet is something like pertex to keep the wind out, and then just get wet. leg wise, youre as well off in shorts for about 10 months of the year, perhaps longs if its really cold, but you soon warm up. But any kind of waterproof trousers and youll sweat like a pig. Mud guards are definitely worth using tho.

Well I am not aiming to enter the tour of britain in the next eighteen months, I just want to cycle cross country to either do some foraging or to get some where. I am very prejudiced against breathable waterproofs, as I have had one spring leak, and i got so cold so quickly I sounded drunk by the time I got home. There are expensive and dangerous in my opinion.

Thanks everyone for your advice, I will diffinitely get mud guards. If we start cycling any distance I know that getting well designed womens shorts or jodhpurs prevents painful injury. I will bring clothes to wear when to get changed into when i get where ever I am going rather than expect some magic outer clothing that keeps the mud off and isn't sweaty. I am going to keep an eye on lidls or aldi as that is more my price range. The top half I am happy with a normal long sleeved tea shirts. I have no desire to look like a pro-cyclist.

Changing subject completely, one of the reasons I cycle down muddy paths (apart from the fun) is despite have miles of cycle lanes, is that the cycle lanes appear to have being planned by a moron. The lane outside my house runs on the pavement not the road. Now i am of the opinion that if you are above the age of 12 you should cycle on the road. Of course the cycle lane has all the lamposts and roadsigns in the middle of it. The pedestrian pavement is now only a 1 metre wide. The only reason I can think of for doing this is defrauding some EU grant scheme.

cool mudflaps bosscat

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used to do a lot more cycling than I do now (especially when I was writing my books "Exploring Pembrokeshire by bicycle" and "Longer Walks in Pembrokeshire" [I left the bike at the end of a walk section took the van to the start, did the walk, cycled back] !) and I have only ever worn standard light weight waterproof both on and off road. As ever Ventile prooved excellent but for realy wet weather I used Gore stuff. Items with rear vents or big pitzips are to be prefered
Gaiters are invaluable as are mud guards/deflectors of some sort.
In colder weather a Buff of some description is ideal under your helmet and their gloves are great too.
I recomend cycling glasses as catching a bee with your pupil at aprox 30mph is no joke (personal experience!) and smaller flys seem suicidal wanting to drown in your tears.
A dayglow vest over your kit is recommended for road cycling and it can easily be pocketed when you hit the bridleways/hills.
A pocket full of tissues and some wet wipes help you clean up before you hit civilization after a muddy trip....

xylaria

I
I recomend cycling glasses as catching a bee with your pupil at aprox 30mph is no joke (personal experience!) and smaller flys seem suicidal wanting to drown in your tears.

What are you, speed freak:)
Mind you from the top of the presellies (sp???) the road to eglwswrw(sp???????) I guess you could break the sound barrer or launch into orbit.:lmao:
How much is the bike book?

BossCat

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2008
Scotland
I used to do a lot of cycling in my younger years. Since getting my new bike I think I've kinda found a newfound youth and have gone way over the top with it :)

My plan is to eventually build something like this but a little bigger.....

laadbak_WIP_11.jpg

http://picasaweb.google.com/motorconversion/BicycleTrailer#5213641911046968498

It will be a sort of mini mobil home (for my camping/fishing trips) and will fold out/raise up to form my tent. I have made a bit of a prototype but have found that the angle iron I've tried was a bit weak. Need to go back to the drawing board :D

TC

camping2.gif
Campfire2.gif

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
What are you, speed freak:)
Mind you from the top of the presellies (sp???) the road to eglwswrw(sp???????) I guess you could break the sound barrer or launch into orbit.:lmao:
How much is the bike book?

Yep that road (Eglwyswrw)!
Cost me more than one set of brake blocks:rolleyes:
The book has a cover price of £9.95 has 27 routes - off-rad, road and mixed, shortest 7miles, longest 23 miles. I do not carry stock but it is available from all good book sellers (if they dont carry my titles - they are not good!:D ) or Amazon.
Publisher "Gomer" ISBN 1 85902 768 7
It sounds like you know my area - do you come down here often?
Next time you must call in - tea, coffee, herbal brews are always available to BCUK visitors!:)

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
What do you wear to keep the rain and mud off?

on my bike to work I have on:

1 set of rainmates this is only on the front part of your legs and as I bought them from holland (thats where I live) they are a little long for me as I am not native (short **** englishman_) anyhow.. becuase of the extra length it also keeps my feet relativly dry and un-muddy

I dont sweat becasue its open at the back to allow ventilation.

On the top I wear a breathable walking jacket..

thats it nice and dry little sweaty when I work hard but not as bad as full waterproofs!

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
Thanks everyone for your advice, I will diffinitely get mud guards. If we start cycling any distance I know that getting well designed womens shorts or jodhpurs prevents painful injury. I will bring clothes to wear when to get changed into when i get where ever I am going rather than expect some magic outer clothing that keeps the mud off and isn't sweaty. I am going to keep an eye on lidls or aldi as that is more my price range. The top half I am happy with a normal long sleeved tea shirts. I have no desire to look like a pro-cyclist.

You’ve hit the solution on the head; resign yourself to dirt and the likelihood that at least your legs are going to get wet. A lightweight cycling mac to keep the worst of the rain off is a definite, and after that whatever clothing you are comfortable cycling in and keeps you warm enough. Can’t recommend getting a decent set of cycling shorts highly enough – they make life a heck of a lot more comfortable.

Thought about doing/getting something similar - even found a cool one wheeled thing on the net, (it was a bit like one of those child bikes that clamp onto the seat post, only it had a storage bag instead of a child) But after further thinking and smurfing of the net, while the exchange rate was a little better I availed myself of one of these. It's a little short for me (I'm 6'5") but as it uses the bike as its support, it don't way much, and unlike my preferred method of camping doesn’t need two correctly spaced trees... Oh, and no-one can steal your bike while you’re sleeping :)

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall

laadbak_WIP_11.jpg

It will be a sort of mini mobil home (for my camping/fishing trips) and will fold out/raise up to form my tent. I have made a bit of a prototype but have found that the angle iron I've tried was a bit weak. Need to go back to the drawing board :D

TC

camping2.gif
Campfire2.gif

Grand idea, but why over complicate things?

Why not just carry conventional camping gear, in a cargo trailer, that way you can alter what you carry, depending on time of year, plus you can use the trailer to cart firewood, water, sack of spuds, whatever

Ive used a bob yak trailer for years, and the single wheel makes a huge difference in handling, compared to the twins ive tryed.

BossCat

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2008
Scotland
Thought about doing/getting something similar - even found a cool one wheeled thing on the net, (it was a bit like one of those child bikes that clamp onto the seat post, only it had a storage bag instead of a child) But after further thinking and smurfing of the net, while the exchange rate was a little better I availed myself of one of these. It's a little short for me (I'm 6'5") but as it uses the bike as its support, it don't way much, and unlike my preferred method of camping doesn’t need two correctly spaced trees... Oh, and no-one can steal your bike while you’re sleeping :)

Yeah I seen those one wheel trailers and have plans on how to build one. I may build one just for getting the shopping etc. Something like this....

FYT1ULAFMSGH074.MEDIUM.jpg

Looks like this fella uses his for camping and the like........

http://www.instructables.com/id/Single_Wheeled_Bike_Trailer/

Grand idea, but why over complicate things?

Why not just carry conventional camping gear, in a cargo trailer, that way you can alter what you carry, depending on time of year, plus you can use the trailer to cart firewood, water, sack of spuds, whatever

Ive used a bob yak trailer for years, and the single wheel makes a huge difference in handling, compared to the twins ive tryed.

Over the past few months I've looked at hundreds of various designs shape and sizes of bike trailers I even though about this one....

008%20Loaded%20ready%20to%20go.jpg

Its called a Nomad Bicycle Tent Trailer and can be seen here.... http://www.tonystrailers.com/nomad/

I think it was designed for the homeless/hobos etc There's a youtube video of an old guy showing how to erect it. He plans to cycle across some state(s) in America?

In the end I thought I'd make my own, that way you get to design it how you want, plus there's the added fact that you made it yourself ;)

Of course this would have to be my ultimate bike trailer......

French bicycle racer, Latourneau pulled an Airstream caravan in 1947 to demonstrate how light it was.

bicycle_pulling_trailer_203_203x152.jpg

TC
camping2.gif
Campfire2.gif

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I forgot to mention, a guy I train with earns his living as a bike messenger, he uses tweed breeks and high socks, and swears by it, he actually uses this during longer trailrides too. Maybe not for heavy downpours but for general foul weather.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE