Waterproofing Scarpa Escape GTX

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Vibrant

Jan 10, 2009
Australia
Just picked up a pair of the Scarpa Escape GTX.

The uppers are Crosta leather with the textured side on the outside. Apparently they come HS12 treated, which I gather is for water proofing.

The recommendation is to treat them with Nikwax Fabric and Leather treatment. Or, for maximum water resistance, to use Aqueous Nikwax (which is normally recommended for those boots with the textured side on the inside).

So, questions:

1. Is this HS12 going to be sufficient for a while or should I apply something else now, from new? I notice HS12 is not on the list of recommended treatments for those boots with the tanned side in, textured side out.

2. Should I apply something else? If so, should I stick with the Nikwax Fabric and Leather treatment, or go for the Aqueous Nikwax for maximum proofing?

3. Would Snow Seal be ok? (I have a large tub sitting here). If I apply Snow Seal what will the effect be on what is really a soft suede finish? Will that be much different to applying Aqueous Nikwax?

Any advice most welcome.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
There's no reason why you shouldn't try products other than Nikwax; however, the manufacturers will recommend a product usually for good reason and it may well be worth trying to contact them before trying something else.

Nikwax and Grangers are generally very good products but I'm afraid know nothing about Snowseal.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
ANFIBIO AND REVERSED ANFIBIO LEATHERS - example - Manta
These are premier leathers used on full mountain boots where maximum strength, support and abrasion resistance is required. These leathers are used with either the tanned finish out or are reversed with the textured side out and the tanned surface inside. All Scarpa Anfibio leathers are HS12 treated. For Anfibio Leathers with the tanned surface on the outside of the boot we recommend treating this with HS12 Scarpa cream. For reversed Anfibio Leather we recommend Nikwax Nubuck and Suede treatment, followed by a light brushing with a suede brush. This will retain the appearance of the reversed leather. Alternatively for maximum water resistance use Aqueous Nikwax.

If you use Nikwax or snow seal on 'reversed' leather then you'll loose the finish the boot has from new. However it makes the boot more water proof. I've done this to an old pair of Scarpa Manta's I had and it worked ok they were very waterproof afterwards.

I've also had sucess in spraying boots with a silicone based spray if they have suede or reversed finish. This helps make my Meindel's more waterproof...

hope this helps

John

Vibrant

Jan 10, 2009
Australia
I went with the snoseal and it seems to have worked fine. The nap on the leather was short so it hasnt changed the appearance really - maybe slightly darker but much.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE