Waterproofing Canvas... Naturally!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nocommonsense

Dec 23, 2014
England
Hello,
I have a polish army lavvu poncho tipi (there are so many names for it!) and i wanted to waterproof it naturally (prefferably with beeswax). A quick search on the interweb has given me a few results;
A mix of beeswax, boiled linseed oil and turpentine,
Greenland wax,
Homemade Greenland wax consisting of beeswax and paraffin.

Because I want to do it simply, can I use just some beeswax by rubbing it on to the canvas and melting it? If not, then i prefer mixing up my own Greenland wax. What effect will waxing it have on the canvas? Will it become less flexible? Will the colour change and so on.

If there's anything I missed, or if you want to share your own natural method then feel free, or if I have to prep the canvas beforehand.

Thanks! :)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I'm thinking I would use a mix of bees wax, boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits and if I hadn't of Fabsil'd mine this is what I would have used. The recipe is on YouTube.

It will stay flexable but the colour may change a bit. I am not sure the best way to apply the mix, if you keep it warm while using it will stay a liquid but left to cool it becomes a solid lump like furniture wax and you then can rub it on and melt into the fabric with heat?

leon-1

I have a Fjallraven Jacket that I use Greenland wax on, it does darken it slightly and it will stiffen up a little as well. The heavier the amount of wax you put on the stiffer it gets, but the greater the level of proofing you get. Greenland wax is quite hard though.

Using a wax preperation like those used on wax jackets will maintain the flexibility of the poncho / tent sheet.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Personally I would avoid linseed oil on a cotton garment. A blend of harder and softer waxes like Greenland softened with a more use appropriate thinner like liquid paraffin would be my choice.

Nocommonsense

Dec 23, 2014
England
Thanks everyone,
I'll need to wait until summer to do it really, as I need to give the Lavvu a good soaking to make sure all of the fibers are together. Ill probably try to make some Greenland wax though.

Could I just use beeswax on its own?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You could but it would be both hard and britlle. The finish would crack in the folds. You need a more pliable finish ideally.

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
howdi

i have recently waterproofed a canvas rucksack. i used Gold Label wax for fabrics its super cheep and you will need loads. i use my rucksack every day rain or shine and is perfectly waterproof. i thoroughly recommend it for your poncho/tent. i painted the wax on using a brush and my good ladies hair dryer to make it runny and soak into the fabric.

I use beeswax melted with paraffin on the canvas bags I make, painted on with a brush and then further melted with a hair dryer or over a gas stove.
Resulting canvas is stiffer which works for the bags and rucksacks as they will stand better and resist marks as well l as water.
539df4227e0a773dcacb710f45088b24.jpg

These were old scout tents
14c6f8637660a1556ecdd511452ac91c.jpg

dbd5b7abe474a7ececad1a5dd4f7d5e5.jpg

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
1 part wax (paraffin wax would work) 1 part Vaseline 3 or 4 parts oil, vegetable oil can be used but might go sour after a period of time, it does take a long time though,maybe a year or 2????

the mix would be like a cream / paste with the 1 1 3 mix and a bit softer with the 4 parts oil, should work fine. i would be interested to see the results with say car engine oil though and it would not taint.

you could always use the old wax jacket pre made stuff, might be pricey though....:(

chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE