Waterproofing a sweatshirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
In my quest to find something easy to work in but showerproof I've been wondering if it is possible to waterproof a jumper. I have a couple of poly-cotton sweatshirts that are a very tight weave and I wondered if they're take a wash in or spray on waterproof? If so would it actually waterproof them at all? I'm not expecting downpour proof but resistant to light drizzle.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
If you find one that is made of 65% poly 35% cotton. That material is drizzle resistant. I have an anorak (without liner) made in that material and I have bicycled in decent rain without water comming through.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
A compromise garment will always be a compromise.
If the coating process doesn't work well, then what?

Buy a waterproof shell. It doesn't have to come with bragging rights.
Maybe buttons/snaps/buckles to open the front that you can't do with a jumper.

I buy the same rain suits that the Public Works guys wear around the village on rainy days.
Duct Tape for patching.

Reactions: SCOMAN

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
There is a water repellent treatment for wool that might work upto a point and of course there are the various DWRs.. I don't think a sweat shirt can be waterproofed but just made somewhat repellent.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Everything's a compromise isn't it? A waterproof shell is more bulky than a jumper for working in, you get much hotter in the summer and it catches on everything.

I don't know what happens if the coating process doesn't work, hence the question. I assume it'll just be less waterproof rather than damage the item but if I pick up a second hand one to experiment on it'll only waste a couple of pounds.

I do find the poly cotton to be slightly resistant but looking to increase the resistance.

Reactions: Robson Valley

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The easiest way to test is take a DWR spray and see what happens. As a first guess it helps but it is not going to be a raincoat.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In shops for family camping equipment you can find cotton impregnation for tents.

That works on tight woven thicker shirts and jackets too. But you will wash it out in the washing machine and it isn't cheap.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
In my quest to find something easy to work in but showerproof I've been wondering if it is possible to waterproof a jumper. I have a couple of poly-cotton sweatshirts that are a very tight weave and I wondered if they're take a wash in or spray on waterproof? If so would it actually waterproof them at all? I'm not expecting downpour proof but resistant to light drizzle.
The main problem is that they are meant to absorb moisture. You might have success with one of those with a smooth reverse side but if it's a fuzzy one I think it might be hard to stop it wicking water inwards. Maybe try a treatment that can be removed by washing it?

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Yes, in my opinion the idea is nonsense.

It's possible to waterproof cotton tent sheets, that was a military standard in both world wars in all armies, and this is in use until now.

A jacket made from such a fabric works well for a few minutes of spray. But there isn't really a reason to do it, because ultra light rain jackets work better and are very cheap.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Yes, in my opinion the idea is nonsense.

Don't hold back. ;)

I've already explained why I don't want to use a waterproof jacket. I wouldn't say the suggestion is nonsense but I find them too bulky and hot at this time of year to work in. I put the one I have on and removed in if a couple of minutes work as it cought on several brambles and I began to steam up like a plum pudding.

Now, what SaraR says makes sense. The jumper I have in mind is sold as a sweatshirt but I think that's just the name and it's not really designed to wick moisture. It does have a felty inside so a spray on waterproofing seems the way to go. I have a bottle laying about so no harm in trying.

Reactions: Erbswurst

rich d2

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2019
Nottingham
I've worn a few riding hoodies for skiing when it's been hotter and no snow forecast. They all have a DWR coating and range from thick hoodie into full soft shell, seem fairly resistant to showers etc. latest one from planks is ... if that helps at all. Not had a cotton or wool blended one they all seem to be polyester.
96% Polyester 4% Spandex. Back layer: 100% Polyester fleece (woven)

• 2 layer RIDEsoft fabric with soft-touch backing

• 5,000mm/H²O Waterproof

• 5,000g/m² Breathability

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden
Nike wash
The result will be that it absorbs less water and that makes it somewhat warmer, at least when the rain stops (dries faster). Also less weight to carry around.

A spray-on waterprofing on the allready treated shirt will give some more effect but on a fabrik of that type it is something to try but not put that much hope on a big different.

Reactions: Robbi

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE