Waterproof trouser or salopette recommendation?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Right then, I'm after a pair of waterproof trousers or salopettes. For years now I've put up with the limitations of army issue DPM trousers. Cheap and cheerful but far from perfect and that's the odd time I can be bothered to pack them. Normally I just put up with wet trousers in downpours and I've been out in a lot of them.

Ideally I'm after something sub £50 if possible. I do a lot of demos and work involving kneeling(fnarr fnarr) which immediately destroys the issue ones I have. I know, I want the best kit for no money...if you have actual experience with anything that sounds suitable please let me know. If not I'll continue the soggy knees and rs syndrome.

I'm not above wearing flecktarn patterns and similar but would prefer an olive green colour if possible. A lined trouser would be nice to avoid that cold clammy feeling the UK excels at in the winter. I've noticed the Jack Pyke type hunter trousers and wonder if they live up to the bold claims they have.

Happy to man up here and continue on as normal but if you know something I don't please speak up! Staying warm and dry would be a huge bonus. Thanks in advance for your help! I'll pass on the wax trousers as they're far from nice in the winter and shower proof at best. Yes I'm referring to Fjallraven ridiculous money for the leather fox label I'm soaked but look oh so cool. Damn they look good and wear well but that's not what I'm after here! Gutted I never pulled the trigger on the Arktis Dancam trousers a few years back but I have to live with that hindsight. D'oh!

Chad

Jack pyke are good Chad.
I've both the hunters and the countryman and both are good. The countryman ones only have waterproof knee patches and seat but they're great for kneeling.
The hunters are fully waterproof the material texture is a bit odd t my mind as they aren't traditional waterproof material.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Chad

Sportsman's Guide in USA has a huge selection of bibs. Postage runs about £10-15 so you could get something within budget. Ive been doing a lot of research on cold weather padded stuff and there were very few that hit the mark. Some lovely wool ones from filson did float my boat but were way spendy

these are about £30 delivered

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=1020403

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive had some harkila goretex lined pro hunters, but I prefer a system, where you just pop on a pair of waterproof overtrousers.

For cheap but sturdy overtrousers, non breathable, Ive got some regatta overtrousers at £7 Keep you dry, elasticated waist. Fit well.

md-mtY-4Qlkja0OLhqngS8Q.jpg

Lightweight overtrousers. Ive got a pair of the Marmot precip pants which weigh about 250g, and pack into their own pocket.

precippntdetail1.gif

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Since you're kneeling a lot have you thought about chaps?(fnarr fnarr). Seriously though, tend to be cheap, hardwearing, let your "bits" breathe and easy to get on and off.
LINK that's just one company but you get the idea.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Ideally I'm after something sub £50 if possible. I do a lot of demos and work involving kneeling(fnarr fnarr).... I'll pass on the wax trousers as they're far from nice in the winter and shower proof at best. Yes I'm referring to Fjallraven ridiculous money for the leather fox label I'm soaked but look oh so cool. Damn they look good and wear well but that's not what I'm after here!.....

Exactly the same thought process has lead me to buy some medium weight waxed cotton fabric with a view to adding some knees to a pair of issue lightweights, I think it could be a good budget solution, I'll let you know how I get on.

All the best,

Stuart.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
cheers for all the suggestions gents, much appreciated. Time to wade through links and have a think as to what would suit me best.

Funny I was thinking a similar thing Stuart, was going to use cordura or self waxed canvas patches on a pair of lightweights. No seeing machine though so chances are I won't see it through...

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
I pinched mine from my dad, good lined waterproofs with enough belt loops to ensure no builders bum. elastic seal on both feet that works. Although they came from cotton traders they donot appear on their webpage. :(

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
What size waist are you?

I'ma 34 but always buy a 36. Some great suggestions so far, I should say I'm not really after over trousers I'm after something I can wear all weekend when out. Definitely after something breathable as well.

jiffi

Nomad
Jun 24, 2010
Castle Douglas, Scotland
I have a pair of mountain equipment changabang salopetes that I bought a while ago and they are an xl which dosnt fit me as I ordered them in xxl but got the wrong thing these are going begging but they would be more than your budget you have stated! If you are interested give me a shout they are in new condition as they have never been out of the house!

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
I have a brand new pair of Keela Munro salopettes in black with labels still attached. Bought whilst dreaming of my youth, and pushed Large button, instead of the (cough) xL

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE