Waterproof socks...?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
hello one & all

today's query is... waterproof socks.

Do they work? Do they last? Seal Skinz or Army MVP? Or are they one and the same as some people claim?

Any practical advice welcome as usual. :)

Thanks
Chris

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Sealskin socks are brilliant, well worth the money. They are particularly good for sliding across ceramic tiled kitchen floors, although this does wear them out rather quickly and is not recommended :D

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
thanks Martin - nice to see there are other people who like passing their time in strange ways! Do you award points for style as well as distance? :D

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
The sealskin ones i have are excellent,like proper socks, can get a little sweaty but no more than normal socks.
The army ones are like brown bags and caused a lot of blisters if i remember right.
We got the sealskins off ebay for about £4-5 a pair but havent seen them that cheap anywhere else.
I will try and find the link. If they still have them.

sorry not sealskin but morelle but can reccomend them,here is an ebay link to the type of sock i mean.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22686&item=7158600006&rd=1

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I got a pair that were on offer to BCUK members a while back. I think they are great, for some things. I was playing paintball in old hiking boots with holes in them and went in water well above the boot. My legs were dry. My feet were no worse off then with the normal two pairs of socks.
I know a few people who use sealskinzs for biking in and they seem to be a very good choice as well. They don't offer the depth cover of the army ones but you can use them as normal socks.
Get both :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
One thing to be aware of,
If you're going into water regularly, is that your boots will need even more looking after if they are getting a regular soaking/drying cycle. The leather (!) will need to be treated to keep it supple and strong. You might also end up going through many pairs of insoles, if you use them.

The socks themselves perform great for me.

Ogri the trog

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
Thanks for the advice guys. The idea of the socks is to combat that age old problem of Goretex boots that develop a leak in the liner.

I've had mine for 18 months and they've not been worn that often - unfortunately one seems to have sprung a leak! I was hoping the socks would restore them back to their previous useful selves.

Thanks Ogri, for the leather advice - fortunately they're mainly cordura with a bit of nubuck so they should stand up to an occassional dunking reasonably well.

Sealskinz it is then :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE