water water carrier to use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
I go with 2 litres per day, this does me drinking, cooking and pot washing [I do tend to lick the bowl clean first though] so for 2 days 4 litres is good for me - if it looks like I'm not going to be able to re-fill then I can push 4 litres to 3 days but I get a bit thirsty toward the end. I don't like to carry more than 4 litres as it starts to get a bit heavy...

I use pop bottles, good rinse and I can't taste any of the previous content or plastic - although I suspect I haven't got the most sensitive of tastebuds.
Thanks mousey, i think your about right there, next time out i will try 4ltr carry, also about the gressy food i do tend to have a fried breakfast, sausage mushrooms and bacon, it keeps me going until tea time (kebabs) i could try another options from now on like porage, and boiled food, rice pasta etc, well there is another thread for later.
Thanks all for your helpful replies
Bill

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
After a minor issue with not taking enough water on a hike in the summer here in the Kentish desert, I had a re-evaluation of my water carrying.

I now use 1.25L or 1.75L coke bottles and work on the basis of 3L per day, minimium, upto 5L if the weather is at all hot. I realise that in summer I can't reasonably carry this much water, so have taken to carrying a sawyer filter so that I can make use of supplies I find along the trail.

Note the 1.75L and 1.25L coke bottles (contoured bottle design) are stronger and more durable than the usual 2L bottles. Also easier to drink straight from as they have that bit more strength, and you don't risk squeezing the water everywhere when you pick it up one handed.

Julia

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
All my experience has been from walking a couple of days up to weeks at a time, mainly the uk though, so I crossed civillisation every day. Even in the 'wild' places you'll come across at least a pub, farm house or hostel every other day so re-filling hasn't been to much of a problem and don't have to muck about getting from streams/ purifying etc [The only time I've drunk from a stream was in Iceland bloody miles from anywhere - very refreshing].

At first I thought 1 litre was going to be enough - and for a day and drinking only it could have been, but then I needed to cook and wash bowl [something I'd didn't even think about] so quickly went up to 2 litres, then 3 litres. When it was hot I was running out on the second day with 3 so went up to 4, then five and thought that's getting abit heavy with everything else I was carrying so went back to 4. Since then I've found 4 does me pretty well for however long I'm out as long as its more than 2 days with cooking involved.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE