Water to go bottle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I was re-stocking the med kit in boots yesterday and came across the water to go bottle with built in filter. It was reduced to ten euro and a quick google in the store told me it was worth a try at that price.

Does anyone have one and how would you rate it? It claims to get ride of 99% of bacteria, viruses and giardia, but I don't know how I'd feel about totally trusting this. It seems too easy! Haha.
I have always used water purification tabs or boiling, occassionally drinking straight from a fast-flowing alpine stream, so I'm not all that familiar with complicated filtration and putification gadgets.

Quick snap of what the bottle looks like:
image.jpg

Last edited:

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Virusses? It has a chemical filter built in or boils the water while you fill it? because that's the only way to get rid of virusses. You can't filter them because they are too small for anything commercially made.

I'd say it already started with false advertising, so wouldn't trust it very far.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
IC_Rafe got it right = that kind of advertising can kill you.
I did a little water quality research for a while, summer projects.
You can't clean up water contaminated by heavy metals such as lead, arsenic and mercury.
You can't clean up water contaminated by livestock or wildlife urine.
Boiling the wild water for biologicals is about the only reasonable thing to do.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks, John. Looks like I got a bargain for a tenner so. Do you think it is a worthy replacement for boiling and have you used it much since your review?

A bit of online reading reveals ot uses some sort of positive/negative charge for removing the viruses, but as you have both said above, it is hard to believe.
I alao saw a cool video where a guy put coke in and got water out!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have been using it as "back up" - I prefer to boil when I can but with dodgy water I would trust the bottle well enough.
One stream I have used it on does have fish in it but is down stream of farms and a HGV company ... lord alone knows what is in the water...
I have yet to feel any ill effects from drinking the water once it has gone through the bottle :)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
That's as good an endorsement as any :)

I figured it would be a handy one for my upcoming canoe trip in Canada. With it and a stainless bottle to boil in I'll be well covered. Will probably bring some purification tabs too, just in case.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE