Water-tight Billies?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rarky B

Aug 19, 2010
dartford
Hello everyone, could I pick your collective brains please? I am after a cooking vessel that can perform the dual role of also being able to carry water securely if/when needed.

Something like a Zebra head billie has a locking lid of sorts but I don't think they are properly water tight to the extent that they could be relied on not to leek inside your bergan. I saw some metal coffee jars with screw top lids that seemed to fit the bill but they didn't look like they would last five minutes on a stove. Obviously cooking with a lid screwed on would just make a bomb so some sort of loose lid setting (or just a cover) would be needed to keep the heat in and so reduce boil time. I'd imagine a rubber washer on the cap would be needed to create a water tight seal, yet this wouldn't like heat so you'd have to cook without it. I guess I could make the cover (for cooking) out of the top of a tin can but what about the water tight cap? Has anyone got any suggestions please?

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i sometimes use a stainless steel tea caddy from wilko's, it's sealed with a rubber o-ring that's nice and easy to remove should i want to cook in it. i've never used it to transport water but i have used it as an extra hot water bottle, although i must admit i put it inside a little dry bag for that just to be on the safe side, it didn't leak even a little bit. the only downside is that it doesn't have any kind of handle and fitting one (unless welded on) would ruin the watertightness (i think i may have just made up watertightness but it's a good word!) £2 i think it cost me.

cheers

stuart

Rarky B

Aug 19, 2010
dartford
Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I want to cook in it mostly, but want to be able to carry water too if I need to (in the ruck sack without leaking). I will check out the Wilko tea caddy, cheers. I think what i need is a screw top tin of some sort. By the way Wilkinsons have cutlery caddys for £2, and I've been meaning to have a go at making a hobbo cooker...

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I want to cook in it mostly, but want to be able to carry water too if I need to (in the ruck sack without leaking). I will check out the Wilko tea caddy, cheers. I think what i need is a screw top tin of some sort. By the way Wilkinsons have cutlery caddys for £2, and I've been meaning to have a go at making a hobbo cooker...

my hobo stove is made from a wilko's sugar cannister,
it's like a honey stove, just cheaper
i'll get my coat

stuart

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Guyot Designs (Backpacker) and Gsi (Duckjug) both do 1L stainless bottles which you could use for boiling and carrying, not a lot of capacity but okay for a brew stop. The Gsi Duckjug has a rubber mesh grip which you'd need to remove if you put it over a fire.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire

Poundland have identical ones for just £1! funnily enough :)

Rarky B

Aug 19, 2010
dartford
Thanks again for the ideas. The Guyot Designs (Backpacker) and Gsi (Duckjug) look a bit exy I'm sure I will find something.
cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE