Water stone soaker/reservoir

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Bought this stone and case, the case works really well to keep the stone hydrated and thus a clean face on it allowing for fast sharpening, rather than getting to the point of rubbing used slurry into the face and then having to redip the stone in water or try to clean the surface if you have a particularly hard stone. It's a standard size 8x2x1 inch.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Han.../sd150/Oilstone+Sharpening+Stone+&+Box/p35910

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
In the days when I was bewitched by the mystique of jap water stones, I simply kept them in a big old washing up bowl kept full of water, with a plank of wood that rest on top of the bowl, or across the sink. The thing is, the one in the picture isnt a waterstone, its a cheapo combination stone, norton knock off......real Norton stones are great

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
In the days when I was bewitched by the mystique of jap water stones, I simply kept them in a big old washing up bowl kept full of water, with a plank of wood that rest on top of the bowl, or across the sink. The thing is, the one in the picture isnt a waterstone, its a cheapo combination stone, norton knock off......real Norton stones are great

It says oilstone, but like you say chances are it's an aluminium oxide cheapo that you can use water on.

The trouble with abowl is you have to take them out of the bowl to yse them,which means they drain and clog, this case stops that draining. I would not recommend keeping stones permanently wet, they seem to soften too much if you keep them wet for longer than a. Couple of hours, just leading to increased disintegration and less useful grinding. Only time I'd recommend keeping them overnight wet is when your flattenning them, always dry after use.

Only problem with this reservoir is the grit from the top surface slurrys down and hits the other side of the stone, so you need to wash it before flipping a 2 sided. It works with any similar size stone, and you can screw it to the worktop!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE