Water purifying

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I was wondering about water purifying using tablets or iodine and any other methods. I would like to put this subject on the table as i don't know much about it and I would really value your collective knowledge and experience. Thank you in advance. Dale x

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
JB, scan the archives. There are a bunch of different methods, most of which you would be expected to use with some duress and under some risk. Lots of chemical nasty shi$t that need to be triple-distilled to get rid of it.

I am NOT drinking even boiled water that some cow crapped in. What is that? Beef broth?
I'm saying carry the good stuff to cook with and drink with. Don't spill a drop of that.

My kitchen has mountain snowfield meltwater, properly cleaned. Then I carry 3 x 20 liter water cans of that in the back of my GMC Suburban from now until freeze up. Some days, not so much for me but people that took off with little thought to resources on the road.

My home source is out these west windows.

Attachments

• EARLY WINTER.jpg
    EARLY WINTER.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 7

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
You can get Micropur Forte tabs in every German pharmacy. It's the only item that I carry "just in case".
The blister stripes need protection in the rucksack. And additional you need a 1 litre bottle.

I tried it out decades ago and afterwards never used it anymore. I simply carry the water that I need or boil it. There are very rare occasions when I don't have a spring or house in reach where I could ask for water. If you just play survival on hiking tours you come along a cemetery tap before you think about making camp or meet someone in his garden in the early evening.
Where is really nobody, the water is clean and save enough to drink it directly without any treatment. If in doubt I can make a tea or need it for cooking anyway.

My rucksack is so light that I have absolutely no problem to carry additional the two litres of water that I need. But I admit that I thought through what I carry.

Last edited:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I was wondering about water purifying using tablets or iodine and any other methods. I would like to put this subject on the table as i don't know much about it and I would really value your collective knowledge and experience. Thank you in advance. Dale x
Hi Dale, There's plenty of old threads about this subject that you might want to read through. If you've got specific questions or a particular scenario in mind (situation and type of water to hand etc) that might be easier for people to respond to.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
there are water filters like lifesaver and sawyer which are highly recommended and are cheap

i personally have a lifesaver and i can recommend from personal use

having a reusable water filter means no continuous costs for tablets and no horrible chlorine taste from the chemicals

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I can vouch for the lifesaver fuel can filter and both the grayl filters- I use them daily and have done for a few years now, and have felt no adverse effect (location and water sources vary), and its sometimes shared amongst a group.

Previously used the millbank filter bag and boil method, but always try and source from the cleanest water flow and not the swamp.

As a kid I messed around with the puritabs and iodine and it always tasted rank! Good for an emergency or if its terrible water I suppose.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE