water purifier advice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
hi: sick of taking ( and often forgetting to take:( ) a bottle of water out with me for a brew when i go down the woods.

what are my options for purifying stream water from a typical lowland/ woodland stream that has flowed through farmland.

will only be used occasionally, but i want it to last, and must be safe, as i will be letting my very precious little lad drink it, and i don't want to poison him.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If you are forgetting to take water, you'd forget to take a water purifying tool! Water that's flowed through farmland, I'd be certain I took my own water to be honest. If there is livestock on the farm then consider getting your water from one of the troughs. Hold the ball cock shut and bail out the trough so that you can get your water bottle under the outlet without any of the dirty water in the trough getting into your bottle. Fill up your bottle from the outlet by releasing the ball cock and then be on your way, or better still, knock on the farm door and ask if you can fill your bottle up at a tap. As long as you're polite, you'll often get a yes.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I use a Steripen UV purifier. No frills, easy & fast to use. The only thing you'll have to do is remove turbity when this is too much.
As a backup I have the usual chlorine tablets.

Podcast Bob

The Aquagear has been tested to, and exceeds, MOD specifications and passed ALL tests to over 1600 litres. That includes heavy metal, pesticides and so on. There's a podcast about it on The Outdoors Station which will clarify it's use. I've drank out of rivers and my wife from Horse troughs, plus my children from dubious sources when travelling in South America.

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
I've used the Katadyn (used to be Pur) Hiker for many years and love it. Wouldn't use anything else.

Easy to use, great water taste, safe, filters last almost forever (seems like it, lol), great flow rate, inexpensive replacement filters, light weight, nearly "idiot proof" to use, small foot print in the pack.

Give it a look see, you'll like it!

Be safe.

NJ

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
The Aquagear has been tested to, and exceeds, MOD specifications and passed ALL tests to over 1600 litres. That includes heavy metal, pesticides and so on. There's a podcast about it on The Outdoors Station which will clarify it's use. I've drank out of rivers and my wife from Horse troughs, plus my children from dubious sources when travelling in South America.

looks good: perfect for on holiday too.

C

Chitterne

I would offer that the primary concern relates to what's on the farmland (Dairy or arable) and what's upstream (industry etc) -barring slurry spills, anything from pee or poo or carcasses will be dealt with by a good filter (katadyn filters proved themselves to me beyond all doubt some years ago in the Indian Himalaya when we found (after we'd all drunk the water!) that our 'duty water filterers' had inadvertantly used hotel bum-wiping jugs to pump the water from -and no one was ill)

but on UK farmland I would want to know what's been done chemically upstream (pesticides, fertilisers etc)....if I didn't know, I wouldn't let my children near it.

Podcast Bob

To save confusion the Aquagear and the Surviva Pure are both made by the same company but with different markets in mind. They both work by 'sucking' or 'squeezing' however the Lifesaver Bottle (which has a very similar high quality filtration system) requires pumping. More moving parts and about £70 extra in price.

All the three systems are proven, tested and meet all requirements discussed above. However anyone not convinced can call Giles the importer of both systems and he'll talk your ears off with all the technical and medical bumph. I know ;-))

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
ive used a katadyn mini for years and im still alive. Mine got a 7000 litre filter life and i havent a clue how far along that life i am, but i can buy replacement ceramic filters. good bit of kit

you need a degree of patience tho, its not got the fastest of flow rates

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
I always keep some Puritabs in my FAK. You could stick some in your wallet and a folded up sandwich bag as a backup, just don't forget your wallet. :)

I'd be wary of drinking water downstream from a farm as there could be contaminants which can't be removed.

Stu

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
To save confusion the Aquagear and the Surviva Pure are both made by the same company but with different markets in mind. They both work by 'sucking' or 'squeezing' however the Lifesaver Bottle (which has a very similar high quality filtration system) requires pumping. More moving parts and about £70 extra in price.

I understood that the Aquagear and SurvivaPure used impregnated iodine in their filters to affect virus killing, whereas the Lifesaver uses a very small mesh size to remove viruses.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE