Water Purification by boiling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
I was just wondering if anyone had a definitive answer to the time period required for sterilising water by boiling. I have heard various answers, ranging from a few seconds to 15 minutes, even RM has said different things in his programmes.

I usually just bring it to a rolling boil for 20-30 seconds. I have heard that most parasites and bacteria are killed at about 80 degrees C and if the water is too hot to put your hand in then its usually ok - seems a bit of an unecessary risk.

Does anyone have an answer or some experiences or thoughts they'd like to share, i'd be interested to hear...

Cheers in advance

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Just bring it to the rolling boil, I've never had trouble with water treated this way. Some people say you should continue to boil for X minutes, I can't see how bacteria will survive 100 deg C but give up the ghost around 4 minutes and 58 seconds!!!

Also, your body will build up an immunity to nasties given a chance, so even if a few do survive, you'll only make yourself stronger!!

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Yeah I heard 5 minites. Id do it for about 10 though - just incase. Immunity is bound to not occur without a bit of the sqwitz.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Guess its finding a balance between evaporation and safety, I always go for 2 minutes(ish) at a rolling boil, never had any trouble.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
billycan said:
I usually just bring it to a rolling boil for 20-30 seconds. I have heard that most parasites and bacteria are killed at about 80 degrees C and if the water is too hot to put your hand in then its usually ok - seems a bit of an unecessary risk.
most are, some aren't some like Blue green algae (cyanobacteria) They are not an true algae but a photosynthetic bacteria, they live in shallow water and boiling the water (if they are present) does nothing to them, some scientists say it helps to release more of the harmful toxins. blue-green algae have been found to be growing in the hot springs of Yellowstone National Park's steaming geysers, enduring and thriving in water temperatures as high as 160°C.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
billycan said:
I was just wondering if anyone had a definitive answer to the time period required for sterilising water by boiling. I have heard various answers, ranging from a few seconds to 15 minutes, even RM has said different things in his programmes.

The definitive answer will involve at what altitude your boiling it, water boils at a lower temperature the higher you go. I suspect out climbing friends will have a formular, but most are rules of thumb and hence expect them to vary at least a little.

BOD

We are all too anal about water purification. It is the aesthetics that put us off. We were designed by God to drink less than "pure" water

We are more likely to get some poisoning or bug through old pipes at home and sloppy restaurant kitchen hygiene than a deadly germ from a clear stream away from human habitation. A dead animal upstream is not much of a threat but a human campsite is.

Unless it is really bad looking and smelling it is unlikely to do that much to us.

Get it to a boil and then take it off the fire and make a cup of tea to improve the taste

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
At sea level, most nasty stuff in the UK at least will die at 80c, boil for a few minutes won't harm though. I think its down to temperature, not the rolling boil which varies with altitude?

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE