Water purification - African hotels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
Hi all,

I am off to Kenya next month for a safari trip. We are going to be staying in fairly good quality accomodation (ie it's not really a bushcraft type of trip, it's a belated honeymoon)

I have never been to Africa before and am looking for a bit of advice from those with more experience. We have been warned by our GP not to touch the tap water and to stick to bottled. Is bottled water always safe? Any brands to look out for (or avoid for that matter)?

I was thinking it would be a good idea to take some sort of water purification supplies in case we get caught out without bottled and might need to make the tap water safe. What would people recommend for treating suspect tap water?

The traditional approach of boiling is not likely to be practical, so we are really looking for a simple chemical approach. What are your recommendations for effective but acceptable-tasting water purification?

Dave

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
couple friends over there and they ordered polarpure from the states, been used alot. Chemical is the only option really, you could take a pump but they are bulky and not really the thing to drag along. Go to your outdoor shop and get a few blisters of purifying tablets and taste remover pills too and your set.

Being aware of your surroundings and who you are with is much more important, be safe and have fun

leon-1

The traditional approach of boiling is not likely to be practical, so we are really looking for a simple chemical approach. What are your recommendations for effective but acceptable-tasting water purification?

Dave

Best bet Dave is one of the little premac filter / purifier's. Look them up online. They are an iodine base so make sure that nobody has an intolerance to iodine.

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
I wouldn't imagine you would get caught without bottled water if it is an organised trip and your accommodation is good. You will be able to buy water in most shops, again just check the seals. For peace of mind I would agree with Leon, the premac filters will do the job nicely. Hope you have a wonderful trip.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
There is a waterbottle, an "In-line filter" for hydration bladder systems and a survival straw.
The waterbottle looks like a military sports bottle!

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
do you really want to be carrying a filter around with you when all you really need to get rid of the bugs is a pill holder with tablets? Also the locals may take offence at seeing you bring a pump out when you can simply drop a pill in

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
I suggest you check out "Aquatabs" or the "Pristine ClO2 Water Treatment" drops. I've heard good things about the Aquatabs, and have used the Pristine drops many times myself.

Cheers,
D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
do you really want to be carrying a filter around with you when all you really need to get rid of the bugs is a pill holder with tablets? Also the locals may take offence at seeing you bring a pump out when you can simply drop a pill in

Filters take out a lot more than just microbes inc stuff that no pills will deal with.
A bottle mounted filter looks no more offensive than a sports bottle.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
Filters take out a lot more than just microbes inc stuff that no pills will deal with.
A bottle mounted filter looks no more offensive than a sports bottle.

hrmmm i thought that filters did not touch viruses, well only the really expensive ones did.

As for the sports bottle your right, i totally forgot and i have a katadyn one too LOL, idiot moment there i think.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The Web-tex Surviva-pure claims to remove "Viral disease causes" amongst a lot of other stuff - but these filters are not cheap!

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
I spend an awful lot of time in Africa and I have the following advice:
Take Imodium with you. You will probably have the trots for one or two days while your there. Nothing life threatening, but inconvenient non the less. The reason for this is that your body in not adjusted to the background microbes, it just hasn’t seen them before, and this has nothing to do with the water.
If you’re going with a reputable company, they aren’t in the business of poisoning their guests as it’s not good for business. That said make sure you know the source of any water you drink.
Filters are useless! Not something you will hear from the companies making them.
Boiled water, failing chemical contamination, is 100% safe. That means tea and coffee are not a problem. Cold water should have been boiled and left to cool in a covered container (don’t want files re- contaminating it).
If you’re caught on the hop, which shouldn’t happen if you plan ahead, use Iodine. Remember to give this exposure time (30mins) to work. (Note: not for the pregnant or thyroid problems)
Canned drinks such as coke have such a high acid content that they are safe, just watch the ice cubes as these can be contaminated. Sealed bottles of spring water, the type you have to break off to get in, are safe. They too have a vested interest in not poisoning their customers.
When bathing, don’t wet your mouth or eyes with suspect water.
The one that people always forget is to brush your teeth with drinking water only.
Always peel fruit!
Don’t blow the thing out of proportion, it’s not at all bad in Africa for tourists, it’s the poor indigenous people who have to put up with filthy water.
You will have a great time, just be sensible/informed.

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
I spend an awful lot of time in Africa and I have the following advice:
Take Imodium with you. You will probably have the trots for one or two days while your there. Nothing life threatening, but inconvenient non the less. The reason for this is that your body in not adjusted to the background microbes, it just hasn’t seen them before, and this has nothing to do with the water.
If you’re going with a reputable company, they aren’t in the business of poisoning their guests as it’s not good for business. That said make sure you know the source of any water you drink.
Filters are useless! Not something you will hear from the companies making them.
Boiled water, failing chemical contamination, is 100% safe. That means tea and coffee are not a problem. Cold water should have been boiled and left to cool in a covered container (don’t want files re- contaminating it).
If you’re caught on the hop, which shouldn’t happen if you plan ahead, use Iodine. Remember to give this exposure time (30mins) to work. (Note: not for the pregnant or thyroid problems)
Canned drinks such as coke have such a high acid content that they are safe, just watch the ice cubes as these can be contaminated. Sealed bottles of spring water, the type you have to break off to get in, are safe. They too have a vested interest in not poisoning their customers.
When bathing, don’t wet your mouth or eyes with suspect water.
The one that people always forget is to brush your teeth with drinking water only.
Always peel fruit!
Don’t blow the thing out of proportion, it’s not at all bad in Africa for tourists, it’s the poor indigenous people who have to put up with filthy water.
You will have a great time, just be sensible/informed.

As an addition to the Immodium I would also take several packs of dyoralite (spelling) rehydration powder.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would avoid taking Imodium unless you are going to be in a place where toilet visiting is impossible - like on a long bus trip.
All it does is paralyse the perisaltic(sp) movement of the bowel so the bad stuff does not work through the system, staying inside and "festering".
It will come out eventually!
Immodium is only a short term fix. If you can - get rid of the problem in natures way - and maintain hydration by drinking more to replace the liquids lost!
This advice has seen me thrive over many years of exped leading in place such as, South Africa, Thailand, Ghana, Morrocco and Eastern Europe.
I find filters that incorporate iodine resin purification and have amin of 2 micron filtration quite effective.
If you only have coarse filters (such as Millbank bags) you will need to boil/purify as well.
I have never had anything more than a go of the trots in all my travelling (due to water/food problems at least!) and that was from a TexMex meal in Thailand!

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
Bert, drop the ceramic filter and it will crack, you won't be able to see it, but it's like the M6 to viruses. Don't believe the bull from manufactures, they have been tested by numerous independent bodies, and the results are not favourable.

As for Imodium, it just stops you not making the loo in time.....all it does is slow down the digestive tract, not stop it....

If you get full on dysentery, you’ll be doubled up with cramps. I had to radio the flying doc once while fishing in the Okavango, trust me, you know when Imodium is not enough!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hmmmm - your dysentry experience does not sound like fun - how were you purifying your water on that trip?:)
The iodine resin filters I have been trying out have some pretty good results from independant and UK gov testers to exceed MOD specs...they claim to be the most tested filters around...
Your experiences with filters seems a lot different to mine but I would agree that good purification is essential with any suspect water!

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
John the Premac WMP is the choice of not only the military for personal water purification it is also the choice of the big aid agencies like the Red Cross. These are the people who do have to go into disaster areas with known unsafe water supplies but until the big supplies start reaching the region they have to depend on personal units. These things are not only well tried and tested in real situations they are recommended by these types of organisations. That's why I have one, and they are rugged,and will take a helluva lot of abuse without failing they have to be, plus they are small and compact. You can buy bottled water there and if you are unsure of it you can filter it using one of these units in your room into bottles and that way you won't offend anybody.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE