Water Puri systems: Microns 0.002 filter Help please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
And yet some research would indicate most models are just filters. Even the purifier ones have larger pores than others.

I don't wish to disagree nor argue with you, but you made a very sweeping statement that when you drill down into it, well, it's open to debate.

When they are EPA approved across the range and cleared for disaster relief like the F.N. or Lifesaver, then maybe they are in the running for me. Not before though. And yes, I have used Katadyn in the past, so not giving oyt any blyth answers here.

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
From what I understand there are three ways to 'purify' water. Chemical, UV and very small filter size. From what I understand, at the moment, the only manufacturer of 'filter', that doesn't use chemical or UV, is Lifesaver as the filtration system blocks even viruses. Here's a statement from them 'Filtering down to15 nanometres, that is 0.015microns. With the smallest virus known being Polio at 25 nanometer.

I don't know which filters remove chemicals or heavy metals (does iodine/chlorine remove these?) but in terms of organic nasties unless you've got battery powered or chemical filtering my choice would be the lifesaver. I believe it filters 3500 litres from the water bottle size before needing a replacement filter too.

Does Katadyn filter this small?

Edit: just read their site again, it filters 6000 litres not 3500 litres. Keep you going for a while...

http://www.lifesaversystems.com/lifesaver-products/lifesaver-bottle

p.s. no link to company, just impressed!

Last edited:

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Toby,

little bit awry there mate.

In general terms, 'purification' is a two-stage process:

1. Filtration or clarification (e.g. with a Millbank bag, pump-action or gravity filter or by settling/floculation, such as a Gypsy Well).
2. Disinfection (e.g. chemical method such as iodine/chlorine or physical method such as UV or boiling).

Some filters are just that - filters. They do not 'purify' because there is no disinfection stage - you would do that by adding chemicals or boiling after you have filtered.

The very fine filters may use ceramic or a membrane, they can be susceptible to damage from freezing, they are more prone to becoming clogged and they can have low flow-rates.

A more porous filter will be less susceptible to damage, less prone to clogging and will have a higher flow-rate. Any viruses that get through will be zapped by your disinfection method.

I have used most of the available kit, including in humanitarian aid situations in the developing world.

I would recommend a Katadyn Hiker (a filter) or a Katadyn Vario (a filter).

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Check out the water to go bottle. I have one, and have drank the filthiest water straight from the bottle with no ill effects at all, and it tasted like pure spring water!
http://www.watertogo.eu/buy-here-29-w.asp

And there is a discout code that gives you 20% off - BUSHCRAFT20 not sure how long it lasts for, but its working at the moment :)

I just bought one of these last week too, didn't know about the code though, d'oh !

Cheers, Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE