Water in winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Getting water in the winter can be challenging. If you're lucky you'll be near a river where the ice is thin or non existent in places. If you're on a lake things are a bit tougher depending on ice thickness. There's about two feet right now so getting through is not too bad- at least compared to four or five feet!
Definitely not axe work though!

Here's getting to the cabin in the dark. Two things are priority: fire and water. One guy gets going on fire, I go for water.
Here I'm using a chisel to punch a hole after shoveling the snow away down to the ice. The skidoo gives me light.
IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

Here's a full pail of water. The water is so clear it's hard to see it in the hole, especially in poor light.
IMG_0868.jpg

Another occasion, this time using a needle bar
IMG_0946.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

Getting close
IMG_0950.jpg

Good water! This ice cannot be beat in a drink!
IMG_0951.jpg

Hard to see but this hole is full
IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

To keep the hole from freezing out overnight, I cover it with a piece of plywood and one inch styrofoam.
IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

Even after the temperature drops to close to -30, a few taps with the pot I'm using as a dipper is enough to break through the thin layer of ice that formed overnight.
IMG_1004.jpg

Shoveling snow on top gives extra insulation against freezing.
When needing to get more water it's easy enough to shovel the plywood off to gain access to the styrofoam and hole below.

Ruvio

Nomad
~Looks absolutely amazing. One problem though, there's a lighter in the ice of your pristine lake! :p

Great idea with the plywood/styrofoam btw. Is that a common thing or is it just something you thought of? I don't do much when it's cold...anywhere

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
~Looks absolutely amazing. One problem though, there's a lighter in the ice of your pristine lake! :p

Great idea with the plywood/styrofoam btw. Is that a common thing or is it just something you thought of? I don't do much when it's cold...anywhere

So that's where I lost my lighter!:D I've seen people use plywood before but the styrofoam was something that just popped into my head at the last minute. A lot of people use styrofoam on their outhouse seat in the winter(instant toasty warm). No, the piece I used is not from the outhouse:yikes:
Lacking anything else, covering the water hole with snow works too.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
nice ^^ but you couldnt you just have melt the ice in a billy?

It takes a lot of time and effort to melt enough ice to get a good amount of water. Had I just wanted a drink for myself I would have just melted some snow but for a cabin a lot of water is needed for washing, cooking, dish washing etc so although initially it's a lot of work to get water, in the end it's actually less work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE