Water filter recommendation?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I take it you are worried by anything made in China Billy Blade? I find that funny since most outdoor stuff is actually made in China and Asia. Take MSR how sure are you that it is not from China or other Asian factory? Even IF it was made in USA do you really think they would make it any better? I do think people who worry about where something is made on the ground of technical or quality issues worry too much. It is not where it is made it is by what systems and guarantees. IF you buy something made on the Moomin Moon or anywhere it is not important, what is it the testing and guarantees the brand gives you and do you trust them.

Those two products have been tested thoroughly by the likes of the Centre for tropical diseases in the UK and one of the most respected centres for these issues in the WORLD!! I have read on other forums a lot on this product and the testing including comments from the main tech guy at Drink-Safe. Also on here discussions have been made. Comparisons have been made with similar looking products from other manufacturers such as Web-tex which don't have the same tech inside them so don't take out all the nasties. From what I have read the brand that you linked to does take out all the nasties and so is a purifier not just a filter like a lot of other brands (MSR, Katadyn, etc do purifiers but most of their ranges are filters).

The other thing is recommendation. I have taken advice from people who's judgement and opinions I value, who go into things with an attention to technical detail I haven't the mentality to do. They use the inline filter from Drink-safe. I went for it too. I've yet to hear of anyone I know with one become ill. I however got ill off a Katadyn filter and even spent week's walking struggling with major squits after using steripen (probably got contaminated water in the nalgene bottle thread and got ill. I do have a system that will get ill easier than some.

All the above sounds like I've got an interest in the company but I don't just happy with it's performance and find the comments about lead paint interesting considering they were for the copycat market types of products not for a specific named brand with UK HQ and strict and rigorous testing carried out prior to market. No doubt testing is carried on regularly. It is like comparing a cowboy plumber without gas safe registration with one who does have it and has a good reputation to uphold.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I take it you are worried by anything made in China Billy Blade? I find that funny since most outdoor stuff is actually made in China and Asia. Take MSR how sure are you that it is not from China or other Asian factory? Even IF it was made in USA do you really think they would make it any better? I do think people who worry about where something is made on the ground of technical or quality issues worry too much. It is not where it is made it is by what systems and guarantees. IF you buy something made on the Moomin Moon or anywhere it is not important, what is it the testing and guarantees the brand gives you and do you trust them.

Those two products have been tested thoroughly by the likes of the Centre for tropical diseases in the UK and one of the most respected centres for these issues in the WORLD!! I have read on other forums a lot on this product and the testing including comments from the main tech guy at Drink-Safe. Also on here discussions have been made. Comparisons have been made with similar looking products from other manufacturers such as Web-tex which don't have the same tech inside them so don't take out all the nasties. From what I have read the brand that you linked to does take out all the nasties and so is a purifier not just a filter like a lot of other brands (MSR, Katadyn, etc do purifiers but most of their ranges are filters).

The other thing is recommendation. I have taken advice from people who's judgement and opinions I value, who go into things with an attention to technical detail I haven't the mentality to do. They use the inline filter from Drink-safe. I went for it too. I've yet to hear of anyone I know with one become ill. I however got ill off a Katadyn filter and even spent week's walking struggling with major squits after using steripen (probably got contaminated water in the nalgene bottle thread and got ill. I do have a system that will get ill easier than some.

All the above sounds like I've got an interest in the company but I don't just happy with it's performance and find the comments about lead paint interesting considering they were for the copycat market types of products not for a specific named brand with UK HQ and strict and rigorous testing carried out prior to market. No doubt testing is carried on regularly. It is like comparing a cowboy plumber without gas safe registration with one who does have it and has a good reputation to uphold.

First off, take the combative tone out of your post. Then we'll get somewhere.

Second, the links that now show up (two of) are not the link which was there when I quoted and posted. The poster I quoted has changed the link, which my post now automatically shows.

The link I quoted was singular, and pointed to a cheap, no name, imported from Hong Kong water filter listed on Ebay.

Now, I don't have issues with everything made in China, no. But having seen some of the fakes, and some of the utterly woeful quality that comes from China (I've worked for companies that looked at manufacturing there, and been involved in aspects of the evaluation process) on safety critical items it's my choice to stay away from something thats listed for £10 on Ebay, coming out of an un named and un regulated Chinese factory, that I would depend on to save my life.

If you agree and get that, fine. If you don't, fine. But pull your guns RIGHT in pal, okay?

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
From the land of fake eggs fed to children, and lead paint found in toys.

For something as utterly important as drinking water, I'd go with a known quantity.

Second, the links that now show up (two of) are not the link which was there when I quoted and posted. The poster I quoted has changed the link, which my post now automatically shows.

I have done no such thing!!!

(edit)

Where's the pistols at dawn smiley:rolleyes::joke:
:swordfigh

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Billy Blade - After reading your post with the quote I went back to the original links and they opened up at BPL-UK not fleabay so I seriously wonder what is going on there for you to get fleabay. I don't know if anyone else on here get fleabay from those links but I sure don't.

Sorry if it came across as combative it wasn't meant as such but was a robust support of this make and the online retailer I have used so many times that I have 100% trust in any product they sell. Defensive of them yes but not combative. I guess I read your comments as a bit judgemental of both drinksafe's products and BPL-UK. Sorry if I offended you but it was based on a sarcastic (not sure that is the right word) comment on a widely respected product's origins (not sure if it is China made, probably is).

Guess the misunderstanding is down to what you saw. Suggest you check that something hasn't happened to your PC to direct you to some dodgy link (that I think we didn't see). I'd be interested if you can check out the following links to what I saw to see if this happens again.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product353.asp?PageID=40

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product433.asp?PageID=40

Also check out this as a nice looking little extra.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product506.asp?PageID=40

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Think we've got it mate - apple tech being it's usual brilliant self! It was BPR MIK that should have been quoted, that is who I was refering to.

And no problems, thanks for the apology, I apologise as well.

For me, with something as important as water kit, I've got manufaturers I trust, through having spoken to friends who have worked in disaster zones (good friend of mine I used to fly with jacked it in to go and volunteer in Haiti) and like I said, unbranded chinese kit doesn't make it on there for me.

The links you just posted though, because they come from a reputable company with a legal responsibility, I have no issues with, regardless of point of manufacture :)

Billy Blade - After reading your post with the quote I went back to the original links and they opened up at BPL-UK not fleabay so I seriously wonder what is going on there for you to get fleabay. I don't know if anyone else on here get fleabay from those links but I sure don't.

Sorry if it came across as combative it wasn't meant as such but was a robust support of this make and the online retailer I have used so many times that I have 100% trust in any product they sell. Defensive of them yes but not combative. I guess I read your comments as a bit judgemental of both drinksafe's products and BPL-UK. Sorry if I offended you but it was based on a sarcastic (not sure that is the right word) comment on a widely respected product's origins (not sure if it is China made, probably is).

Guess the misunderstanding is down to what you saw. Suggest you check that something hasn't happened to your PC to direct you to some dodgy link (that I think we didn't see). I'd be interested if you can check out the following links to what I saw to see if this happens again.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product353.asp?PageID=40

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product433.asp?PageID=40

Also check out this as a nice looking little extra.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product506.asp?PageID=40

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Ignore above cross post with yours where you found the correct quote meant.

Easy for things to get mixed up on forums isn't it.

As far as that link you meant to quote I agree, looks cheap knock off tat with no testing support to even suggest it can do anything other than take grit out. Avoid I'd say. Even the Web-tex ones look better to me. Personally I avoid Ebay in favour of retailers (online only and online presence of physical shops) I have heard of and trust based on recommendations and good word. I am only about 2 years or so into buying online so I am still very untrusting of online shopping. It takes a good word from a regular forum poster I trust at least before I buy from somewhere.

As to the OP I'd be curious as to why he went for the option he did? However the first needs one (based on reading the company website - very US specific) it is a good product. 0.4 micron absolute. The drink-safe is 2 micron absolute but that also has other tech in there as well. It certainly looks a good filtration only purifier which is not easy to make. AFAIK there is only the Life bottle people who make those big and heavy plastic purifier (by filtration) bottles that are very heavy. (http://www.lifesaversystems.com/about02.html). Note this one filters to 0.015microns!! It also says bacteria are down to 0.2microns and virus' are down to 0.025microns (25nanometres). That is quite amazing really for filtration. Wonder how its made and also slightly doubt it somehow. Seen it years ago at the outdoor show in Birmingham. Was impressed with its performance not its weight and portability. It is a vehicle or porter based filter unit only. If you have to carry it I think I'd rather a modern purifier system.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Agree totally. Good gear by good makes as far as health and water goes.

I wish I had the guts to jack my job in and do that. Doubt I'd have the skills or experience to be of any use and unfortunately house, mortgage and other costs mean I doubt I ever will be able to do it. Here's to the big lottery win!! ;)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I have trawled their website and there is no reference to filtration diameter anywhere. The 2 micron I got was from a quite thorough product description on the BPL-UK site for their products such as travel tap. BPL-UK were one of the first UK retailers to stock them I believe and are usually quite thorough on their write-ups. In fact it looks like it was written by taking sections from a technical note from Giles himself. Podcast Bob knows a lot about gear but it looked like it was quoting heavily from another source (probably Giles).

It is significant but since virus' are a lot smaller than 0.2 anyway it is kind of academic as the true purification is from the chemicals on the surface of the filter media anyway. Still, it works, is light, portable and easy to use. Not too much wrong there.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Agree totally. Good gear by good makes as far as health and water goes.

I wish I had the guts to jack my job in and do that. Doubt I'd have the skills or experience to be of any use and unfortunately house, mortgage and other costs mean I doubt I ever will be able to do it. Here's to the big lottery win!! ;)

Aye, we were just out of flight training at the time and he was waiting on his job starting, so with his degree being mech eng, plus he can weld etc, why not? He did a lot of good out there, and I'm proud to have him as a friend. Sorry, off topic. Anyways.

FWIW the drinksafe supalite green 6 litre is my personal choice, and I feel it's well worth the extra over other types.

As ever, it's peoples own preference as to what they spend.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE