Water dilemma

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
Lightweight, easily cleaned, visible internally, robust, packable, and my big one comes with a seperate nozzle that turns it into a shower if I leave it out in the sunshine to heat up :)
That’s great idea can you freeze water in them ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you open the valve and leave them sitting upright, yes. Once frozen screw the cap down tight again.
Mine have frozen solid when camping before now, but I'm inclined to squish the extra air out of mine anyway, so there's always a bit of leeway.

Reactions: moocher

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
That’s mine

Ah, ok. Mine are the Reflect 800ml bottles. Nice things, ridiculously expensive, but lovely. I’d dearly like one of the big insulated versions but daren‘t browse for fear of justifying a non existent need. You know how it goes...;)

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
If you are only using it for drinking rather than boilg any water what about a SIG bottle with their sports cap,nice and lightweight.
A 1L canteen filled can be 'heavy' and awkward to carry (pulls belts down) where as 2x 500ml you can balance the weight better.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I refill the single-use plastic water bottles dozens of times. Cannot be accused of littering.
I'm far more interested in my travel and the environment than which bottle my water is in.
Common to fill half a dozen of those for even a day trip.
They don't leak. Even in the house, I have re-used them for months.

In the Snowy Mountains of Australia, I carried a big hard water bottle and a soft, squeezable bottle.
I could use the soft bottle to suck up water from a 1" trickle of a stream to fill the big bottle easily.

We have had serious village water system problems all summer, just got the lift yesterday and the water is OK to drink.
I have 2 x 2 gallon/10 liter plastic water bottles in the back of my Suburban for drink and for washing up, etc.

Reactions: Toddy

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
You can get several, flexible water bladder systems with tubes. Keep in the freezer between uses and they keep clean and no risk of nasty stuff in the tubes.

Systems can be simple bladder as a bottle through bladder and tube to rucksack system. I had one that came in a neoprene holder which had straps or buckle loops to strap it onto a rucksack. Easy to rig up a carrying system for that. Iirc platypus unbottle was the model long since ceased production of those but there will be something close on the market.

You can get runners vests with bottle carrying built in. Get smaller flexible bottles and have fun settling a surplus strap/ chest rig of some sort. I don't really know much of that kind of thing.

Just a few ideas I have for your needs

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Best practice is to allow the water system parts to soak in 10% chlorine bleach for 10 minutes.
Next, rinse the equipment with boiled water of known quality. Allow to dry.

You will learn that 10% chlorine bleach is the global standard for cleaning Biology laboratory bench tops.
It kills everything on the bench. Everything. Evaporates to dryness.

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
If you are only using it for drinking rather than boilg any water what about a SIG bottle with their sports cap,nice and lightweight.
A 1L canteen filled can be 'heavy' and awkward to carry (pulls belts down) where as 2x 500ml you can balance the weight better.
That’s conclusion I came to ,started using the 1l for work now .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE