Stainless WW2 style US Canteen and Cup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
I recently received this in the post from a US based ebay seller. Listed as a "Stainless steel Canteen with cup" the seller has, since I brought it dropped the price from $30 to $25. I should note I got stung with VAT and the Post offices "Admin Fee" so the total price came in at approx £43, far to much in my opinion, but stainless canteens like this are difficult to find, the most common being the Pathfinder Canteen set from Dave Canterbury, costing around £80.

20140131_183037.jpg

20140131_183047.jpg

It is advertised as a 1 quart (approx 945ml ) which as near as I can determine is accurate if filled to the brim. the construction is solid, no leaks, burrs or other obvious defects. The weight of the Canteen is 244g, the Cup 198g. According to various Alibaba pages the material is 304 stainless, and non magnetic.
Here it next to a Nalgene Oasis Canteen:

20140131_183413.jpg

The cap is plastic with what appears to be a clear plastic seal similar to those found in pop bottles inside it. This lid is attached by a chain with a tab welded to the canteen and a rotating tab on the cap, attached with a rivet. The chain is held to the tabs with a split ring, so it can be detached if necessary, such as if you were using the Canteen to boil water in.

The spout, as you can see, is quite narrow, folded in to avoid any sharp edges.

20140131_183423.jpg

The Cup fits the Canteen very well, minimal movement when combined. It has the older style handle from the US Canteen Cup, and is of a similar height. I should not that while the steel Canteen will fit the genuine USGI Canteen cup, the Nalgene Canteen will not fit the Cup from the new set.

20140131_183104.jpg

20140131_183117.jpg

The Cup is somewhat smaller than the genuine US article, the capacity is 500ml when filled to within 2cm of the brim. the Cup and canteen is somewhat polished. As a side note, the Canteen cup lid supplied by the Bushcraft Store of Enfield is manufactured by Rothco, and will not fit a genuine US Canteen Cup without modification (Search on Youtube) as it is to small for the lip to go over the edge. Conversely, the lid will not fit this Cup because the moulding in the centre is too big.

As on the original US Cup the handle has a small tab that slides down to lock it into position when opened.

20140131_183155.jpg

Here is the Canteen next to a USGI issue Canteen.

20140131_183608.jpg

20140131_183613.jpg

After washing out the Canteen, first with hot water, washing up liquid and a couple of good shakes, I then used a denture cleaning tablet, warm water and a couple of hours before flushing it out with cold water and leaving it for approximately 24hrs full of cold tap water. Aside from the chlorinated taste being concentrated (a problem I have had with various other steel bottles) there was no metallic taste to the water such as I had with my Kleen Canteen.
Overall, I am happy with the Canteen and Cup, and for those looking for a Stainless military style Canteen and Cup combo this is one of the cheaper options available, especially if you live in the States, and good quality.

If you have any questions I will try my best to answer them, thanks for reading my review.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've never got my head round the import tax thing, I thought it was on goods valued £40 or more, how much was the canteen set?

Nice mug, I've always liked the look of that handle arrangement

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
I've never got my head round the import tax thing, I thought it was on goods valued £40 or more, how much was the canteen set?

Nice mug, I've always liked the look of that handle arrangement

Before shipping it was $30, shipping was $23, at current exchange rates £30 or so, if goods are over £15 you may get charged vat, in this case £3.66 + Royal Mails admin fee of £8.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Before shipping it was $30, shipping was $23, at current exchange rates £30 or so, if goods are over £15 you may get charged vat, in this case £3.66 + Royal Mails admin fee of £8.

Still seems iffy to tax it though; one would think the shipping cost shouldn't count toward the "value."

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Still seems iffy to tax it though; one would think the shipping cost shouldn't count toward the "value."

It didn't, the VAT was only on the Canteen set, i.e 20% of £18 or so pounds coming to £3.66, the majority of the extra charge was from the Post Office.

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London

Out of interest, was the value of goods on the parcel written as dollars? I've just been stung for £15.44 import on something I'd bought for £11.50 with free shipping. They dont seem to account for the value written on the ticket in the currency of parcel origin. In this case Malaysia. To get my £15.44 back off them, I need to write a letter and wait 5-6 weeks for the cogs of HMRCs to process my complaint.

I wonder if it might explain some import anomalies with customs that others have had.

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I think that the customs charges are related to the position of the moon and stars more than an actual formula.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If you buy from Amazon.com (US site) they calculate the import duty there and then, if not charged they refund you I believe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE