3 day pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
I was inspired by Madgaz and his pic of his daypack and what he manages to cram into it - and let's face it - we all love looking into someone else's pack... Anyway, I've been spending a lot of time in the woods near my childhood home lately, basically to look in on my Mum and Dad more often, as they're getting a bit frail. TBH the woods are a great escape from conversations with carers and all the stuff that goes with ageing parents. My Dad used to come down into the forest with me, and I feel closer to him there sometimes than when I'm in the actual room with him, seeing him hooked up to tubes and lines and not even able to recognise me.
3 day pack.jpg

But to the pack - well I've now retired my 25 year old Berghaus Roc, which has travelled all over the planet and has seen its fair share of dust ups. Great pack, but I always hated the fact that it was basically one single big bag - even if you wanted a drink of water, you had to stop, get it off and unclick the top. It bugged me for years. Well, I bit the bullet in my middle age and bought a Lowe Alpine Strike. After the Roc, I had used my issue PLCE bergen for a few years, but without webbing it was a pain in the ...back. The Strike was a bit of a breeze - first of all, I stopped throwing in all those little bits of kit which I bever actually bloody used, and secondly, it was so dinky and comfortable. AND, I could stick stuff in easy-to-get-at side pockets. (The stuff that should go in your webbing I suppose.) Anyway, it's been brilliant, over the course of three weekends. I still use far more stuff than I should, or than I really need to, but the difference now is that it's all comfortable and more portable.

As far as the kit breakdown in the pic goes, the bivvi bag is a 20 year old survival aids one. The sleeping bag I bought in the States a long time ago, and even though the zip has gone, it's so good you can use it like a duvet well into negative temperatures. (I'll get it fixed - if I ever camp out in Norway).
The tarp is a rubberized Austrian army poncho which I've had for decades, and is peppered with campfire spark-holes - but I love it. Water never, ever gets through it.

There's also a hobo stove - Ikea's best, with a 10cm zebra inside it, a wee meth burner for when I can't be arsed gathering twigs, a pot holder and some scrubbers - it all goes in a handsewn bag. The plastic bag used to contain underpants, but now houses my brew kit, which includes soups and jerky.

I've recently tried out a Spork; to be honest, I think the old tin spoon is better - you don't need anything else really. The water bottles are a 1965 nato type, which I was issued in 1988, and nicked, and a swiss army one with integral aluminium mug, both of which are brilliant. I often brew up in the mug over just a few twigs and cones, and it works superbly - but you have to stick on some duct tape lip-guards.

The old army water-bottle pouch holds six bungees, six tent-pegs, and 10m of para cord, plus a few sundries. The tin box holds my tinder - the really dry stuff, as opposed to the stuff I pick up on the way to camp.

The belt goes on over my good old smock - it's US - the Brit one is too stiff in my opinion - it takes my laplander, a brilliant little pouch off e-bay which houses my DC-4, firesteel, and a torch (Cree - also e-bay - so cheap you can't believe it - from Hong Kong - less than £2! - knock off or not - it works brilliantly - and I have no connection with the company yada yadda)

The axe is Bahco, does me just fine, and on balance I find it works better than a golok, which I've also used. I keep it as sharp as your average kitchen knife.

I always carry an opinel (No8), which I think are brilliant - also super for getting sparks off the old firesteel. And I carry a condor bushlore - my difficult child. Used to carry a Mora, and it did everything it said on the tin, but was ugly as sin. So, purely for aesthetic reasons, I got the bushlore, and while I love it in a vaguely similar way to Gollum and his ring, it has been absurdly difficult to sharpen. It's like trying to sharpen three different knives at once. I've got it to very sharp, but not quite to hair-shaving. A work in progress. Plus, the Bushlore really needs a big drink of linseed oil when you first get it.

Anyway, the only things left out of the pic are a small radio, the food (I go for spam and crackers, big-time), and a hip flask full of some malt whisky which is old enough to have a driving license.

That's pretty much it. All comments, suggestions, derision, and wolf whistles much appreciated.:)

Blackberry

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2012
Cardiff
Looks good, only thing id add are spare batteries and a head torch as its nice to have hands free in the dark.
Also for 3 days id add a minimalist wash kit (small toothbrush, paste and a small bit of soap

Only thing id leave out is maybe the axe but if you can carry it, why not? And possibly get a mug that fits on the water bottle to save space

Great kit list tho!! and some excellent kit in there!:)

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
Ah, the wash-kit - I knew I'd forgotten something! I have a combination wash-kit and FAK which all fits in a small mesh bag, and I left it out of the photo. I go for tea-tree scented wipes myself....
The mug I use all the time now is the one which is attached to the swiss army bottle. Got it pretty recently, and it really is a super bit of kit. I have a crusader, but it's just too damn big if you just want a (v) quick brew.

Blackberry

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2012
Cardiff
Ah, the wash-kit - I knew I'd forgotten something! I have a combination wash-kit and FAK which all fits in a small mesh bag, and I left it out of the photo. I go for tea-tree scented wipes myself....
The mug I use all the time now is the one which is attached to the swiss army bottle. Got it pretty recently, and it really is a super bit of kit. I have a crusader, but it's just too damn big if you just want a (v) quick brew.

Also, for a 3 day pack i would add something a little bigger to cook in and some food, and a little chocolate :rolleyes:

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
The 10cm billy works pretty good for me - and I did say that in the pic, food is not included - I have to say the strike is a super little pack - after all that stuff is in, there's still loads of room for grub. I tend to go for tinned stuff, but I'm old fashioned :confused:

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
BTw thanks for the comment Bundleman. I'm pretty new to Bushcraft in its current incarnation, but I've been camping 'wild' for over twenty-five years.

Blackberry

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2012
Cardiff
I forgot about the billy! Sorry mate. I'm not doubting your kit as it is excellent gear and choice i was just trying to think of anything you missed out, that said im king for forgetting kit!

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
No worries mate - I also forgot my waterproof, a flectarn German army surplus job. Don't wear it much in the wood though, no matter the weather. I have an old smock which is rarely off my back and it dries incredibly fast. I wouldn't usually include the axe tbh, but I'm in the process of building a semi-permanent shelter, and I'm doing a lot of felling and trimming atm. Thanks for the comments.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I was troubled by my Condor Bushlore too. If you have the old model (like i do) the edge can be made better either by a long time with a Lansky Sharperner to effect a scandi edge, or some careful time with a file/waterstones.

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
One thing about spending time on this forum is that you find out about a lot of stuff you would previously never even have thought of. I may have sworn by my Austrian poncho, but thanks to a member on here I am now the proud possessor of a multicam DD tarp, and I'm gagging to try it out - for one thing, it will give me so much more room - and it's about half the weight! I guess that's progress.

Also - to the Lord Poncho - I have the latest version of the Bushlore, but I've read blogs online detailing jusy how much work the Mark I version takes to get it into anything like a reasonable tool. Mark II is nothing like as bad, but I realise now I sharpened it far too aggresively when i got it and created a secondary bevel - after a bit of work, it's been remedied and the sucker is shaving hairs off my arms at last. Heading off to the woods tomorrow to get to work on my new semi-permanent camp, and can't wait.

Last edited:

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Nice kit, I dare say it is not too dissimilar to mine (and probably many others on here)... which reminds me, Ive still got to sew a bag for my hobo stove. That my evening sorted!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE