water - chlorine taste removal

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Sounds interesting, as you say it should work fine - I've heard citric acid can be used but never tried it, vit. C is easier to get a hold of. I'd just make sure it's food safe or suitable for internal use, a lot of citric acid is used in industrial and household applications.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Is not it true that if a container of water is left open to the atmosphere that the chlorine will go to a gaseous state and leave the water in one day, taking its bad taste with it? I have always heard this, and assumed it was true but I don't actually know.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Its used by druggies, i'm told to make the drug flow, so being caught with that and a knife could have complications !.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Is not it true that if a container of water is left open to the atmosphere that the chlorine will go to a gaseous state and leave the water in one day, taking its bad taste with it? I have always heard this, and assumed it was true but I don't actually know.

Yeah, chlorine gases off fairly easily - but a lot of water companies are using chloramine these days, which doesn't. It does have less of a taste though, so it's not that big a deal unless you're an aquarist or a home-brewer, in which case it's a right pain in the backside and has to be removed chemically.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i've read somewhere that dumping vitc into purified water kills the cleaning reaction? its a vague memory but something that harks back to dumping orange powder in your 58 patt, leaving it a half hour before doing so?
i may be talking out of my backside however?!

Aug 18, 2009
UK
Yeah, once you've neutralised the chemical, it is no longer effective against bacteria. That's why you put the vit c in in your cup, so no traces are left in the bottle to interfere next time.

leon-1

Eds, I use lime juice and lemon juice in chlorinated water and it does a reasonably good job (both lemons and limes being high in citric acid). I have never used citric acid in sachets so am not sure how effective it would be, but it would be worth giving it a try.

I don't know what the current one of choice for the forces is, but on water points they used to use Calcium Hypochlorite to treat the water through a variable volume doser, once the chlorination had been stabilised at the correct level and correct soak times had been observed the water would then be decanted of into water bowsers where they would have sodium thiosulphate added to them. This both speeded up the removal of the Hypochlorite and had a detaste effect.

It's pretty pokey stuff though, you're looking at 0.1 and 0.3 gramms of crystalline thiosulphate to ten litres of tap water.

Swimming pools are dosed at a rate of 0.4ppm - 1.4ppm of chlorine (that's according to WHO). Sometimes they shock dose a pool to get rid of problems at a rate of 20ppm, when they do that they use thiosulphate to reduce the chlorination levels to an acceptable level in a shorter period of time.

The water that goes through a water point used to be dosed at 5ppm, left for a soak period and then retested, it had to achieve a minimum of 2ppm (so stronger than your average swimming pool). When dosed with thiosulphate it was drinkable within the hour with a very slight chlorinated taste (a lot less than we seem to be getting from the taps here in the mornings anyway:yuck:).

leon-1

vit c removes chlorine, or just covers up the taste?

Not 100% sure on this one mate, but I think it works something along the lines of Vitc prevents the activation of chlorite which effectively is the active ingredient.

So for instance dumping high levels of VitC in water that had a chlorinating tablet placed in it before the observed soak period has passed would in theory stop the chlorination process leaving you with water that was potentially unsafe to drink.

I am not a chemist so this is not a "biblical quote", this is just my understanding of it.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
chlorite you say? Ah well that makes perfect sense.

I ingest sodium chlorite activated with citric acid as part of a health protocol. Check out "miracle mineral supplement" on google. One of the rules is to avoid anything with high concentrations of vitamin C and especially synthetic vitamic C and you guessed it... it stops the MMS from working in the body.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE