water bladder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 14, 2012
Brixham, Devon, UK
Hi All,

I'm after some advice on buying a water bladder to use with my UTG back pack. Currently I've got a cheap 2.5ltr bladder that no matter how many times I clean it with bi-carb, it taints the water with a truely foul taste of chemicals/plastic :-(((

Can anyone recommend one that won't taste like this? 9oh, and ideally not too expensive!)

thanks in advance,

Mike

miles888

Jan 6, 2012
peak district
miles888 il second the camelbac variety, ive got 3.
an unbottle in 2litre, 3litre, another 2 litre bought with a hydration rucksack
the newer made ones i find better tasting than my unbottle one but that might be me?
i had a 3 litre role up carrier once forget its name but tough.
anyone know what 3 litres of red bull do to the system!!!

MJM1

Forager
Feb 2, 2011
Stourbridge
I've got the Camelbak Stash which uses the Omega bladder. Water doesn't taste too bad as long as you empty the tube by blowing the water back into the bladder after each drink. Any water left in the tube ends up tasting of plastic.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I rate my Source bladder better than the Camelbaks or Platypus'. Slightly cheaper and seems better made.

I've split 5 camelbaks and 2 Platypus', the Source bladder seems a bit tougher. The wide top is great for filling from streams and cleaning out/drying.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I like the Source ones too, got one of each size plus their Liquitainers

The wide mouth lets you give them a good clean so they don't go musty.

Have you tried a spot of bleach in the water?

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Another vote for Source!

Also, I read on here somewhere that if you store it empty in the freezer, that keeps it fresh- that's where mine lives now between outings.

ATB

KP

I got a 1.5 ltr bladder from ASDA i think I paid £8 for it and it came with a case/cover suitable for joggers, I has room for a small mobile phone on the Shoulder strap and a Space Blanket, Wheelie Bin Liner and a Ferro rod in the small pocket on the back.

(that means you can have a shelter of sorts and a fire with a drink if you were to twist you ankle while jogging late on an evening in some remote place. and then get help by a fellow jogger/dog walker the next morning.)

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
What about the msr dromadary. Never tried them but some people swear by them. You by the bladder and then there's a load of different attachments for it. Good luck with your search.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Two 2 litre Ortleib bladders a Source 2 L bladder and a Camelbak Ambush is the latest aquasition. No issue with any so far. Amush yet to be battle tested but it "looks" like an essential pice of kit.

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
What about the msr dromadary. Never tried them but some people swear by them. You by the bladder and then there's a load of different attachments for it.

The MSR ones are good for carting water about and the spigot tap thing you can get is useful but the attachments for drinking from it while on the move make the whole a bit awkward. They are VERY durable and don't flavour the water too horribly.

hemdale

Nomad
Jan 30, 2012
London
What about the msr dromadary. Never tried them but some people swear by them. You by the bladder and then there's a load of different attachments for it. Good luck with your search.

Just got mine today. IT's an absolutely amazing piece of kit ! I chose the 10 litres version, thinking it's easier to fill it half full if needed.

gan_pi

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2011
Manchester, UK
+1 on the camelback, but they are a pain to clean. A tip I learnt from a mountain biking forum was to use denture cleaning tablets - after use, rinse it out, fill 85% and throw a tablet in. let it fizz a little while with the top open, close, shake & allow to stand then rinse & dry.

another tip to add a squeeze of lemon juice to the water - it helps eliminate any plastic taste.

While browsing at Tamarack (great store imho, but not cheap) I saw this http://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=9075747 looks like a much easier design for cleaning with the wide opening. not sure about the split design tho.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE