Watch out Watch out

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
'cos there be Adders about. Albeit it small and juvenile at around 9 months old...

4697283721_933490257a_o.jpg

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
The only time ive ever seen a adder was when i was up talbenny near tenby- it was dead on the road :(

Is there anywhere they are more common or is it just that their scattered about and i dont look very well? :p

btw lovely photo :D

spartacus

Forager
Sep 10, 2010
Bulgaria
Good shot Jonathan, I am hoping to get some of horned viper next month, see if I can get as good as yours. Well done and thanks for sharing.

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Just as well there are no snakes in Northern Ireland, can't stand them. The only time I came across a snake was when I was about 10 at my Aunt and Uncle's cottage in Canada, I absolutely kakked my pants. Don't know why, but I am scared ****less of them. I'm sure their not as bad as I would think, but still, if i see a snake i will run a mile in the opposite direction.

outdoorpaddy

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... are they actually as dangerous as i was led to believe they were when i was a kid?

The venom of the juveniles is just as potent as that of the adults, but there's less of it and their fangs are smaller. They'd be able to inflict great pain but not likely kill an adult human. It's not an aggressive species but they will react if they feel threatened, and when they're warm they can move like lightning. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipera_berus

You usually don't see them because they'll easily spot you first and disappear. When you watch one slither away it's amazing to see how they blend into their surroundings, even while they're moving.

With most wildlife there are probably a lot more of them around than you think. Most of us don't have the time, the inclination nor the patience to sit quietly and watch. If we did we'd see a lot more of our world than we do.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
With most wildlife there are probably a lot more of them around than you think.

Unfortunately, from my trips around the country collecting adder DNA this year, they are on a sharp decline and in a much worse situation than we first thought. These heath fires have also wiped out entire colonies which were once rich strongholds for them.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Unfortunately, from my trips around the country collecting adder DNA this year, they are on a sharp decline and in a much worse situation than we first thought. These heath fires have also wiped out entire colonies which were once rich strongholds for them.

That's bad news, Jonathan, do you have any numbers for us yet? I've seen the reports of the serious heath fires but I've been consoling myself that they've been on a relatively small scale, at least so far. Maybe we should all be building new compost bins?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Not as yet Ged, but on some locations that have been historically known as strongholds for V. berus populations, the individuals there numbered less than ten or twelve. Obviously such small populations are not sustainable genetically. They are also being isolated to small pockets within large areas of wilderness because of heathland restoration projects and RSPB clearance schemes. Without the ability to travel to other sites and spread the genetic diversity, those small pockets will also be lost very soon. The amount of deformed snakes found is higher than ever.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
... small populations are not sustainable genetically. They are also being isolated to small pockets within large areas of wilderness because of heathland restoration projects and RSPB clearance schemes. ...

Heck, what's going on there? They're supposed to do impact assessments in triplicate before they yomp around wrecking habitats. Please tell us more about these projects and schemes, and their impact as you see it. I'm starting to feel the need to ask questions of the people in Sandy.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Yeah - I saw Upton Heath got toasted. I lived nearby in Lytchett Matravers for about a year and arson accounted for at least two burns on Upton Heath while we were there. I read that whole populations of lizards were wiped out but I guess Jonathan can confirm/scotch that rumour.

We don't see any adders up here, as they are sensible where weather is concerned...

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Yeah - I saw Upton Heath got toasted. I lived nearby in Lytchett Matravers for about a year and arson accounted for at least two burns on Upton Heath while we were there. I read that whole populations of lizards were wiped out but I guess Jonathan can confirm/scotch that rumour.

We don't see any adders up here, as they are sensible where weather is concerned...

I had an e-mail from the DWT on saturday about it.
A lot of reptiles perished along with nightjar and dartford warbler nesting sites.
Some reptiles have miraculously survived and they're looking for volunteers to assist in rescuing what may be left as there's no cover now so they're vulnerable to predation.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm down here now and the devastation is on a huge scale. This heath has all six species of our native reptile including the protected Sand lizards and Smooth snake. It's no exaggeration when I say hundreds must have perished. I can't see the reptiles recovering from this anytime soon. It's like someone nuked the area.

Ged, sadly when it comes to heathland management and restoration, as well as land improvement for birds. Reptiles come last on the list and sometimes, herpetologist surveyors are not even called in to advise. Hyde Heath is a perfect example where the heathland was cleared to make way for scrub. In doing this, they cleared all of the cover used by the reptiles. Eighteen months later the pile of debris is still there. The reptiles aren't

WH_SAND_1.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE