Watch out Watch out

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Hyde heath a YEAR after the obliterating tidy up by the Rspb, who should have been fined if they read their own joke of a notice at the bottom. That was on the gate at Furzebrook Rd. Here are a few shots a year later all they have achieved is a new crop of gorse pushing through after they have destroyed hibernacular undergrowth that was hundreds of years old and also more deeper gouging by bulldozer tracks which have left over two foot into the soil.

2010-08-14_190756_2010_0814dorset0009.JPG

2010-08-14_190928_2010_0814dorset0012.JPG

2010-08-14_191026_2010_0814dorset0011.JPG

2010-08-14_190652_2010_0814dorset0021.JPG

There was a thriving and healthy population of reptiles here. Obviously from the pictures, you can see any habitat suitable for them is no longer there.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Streuth ! what were the RSPB thinking of ? I thought they preserved habitats not prepare them for housing estates.......................................criminal !

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I've seen three snakes in the wild and they were abroad in Greece, Corfu and Crete, the one in Crete was almost cut in half on the motorway, we were on a scooter, I pulled up not far past it and went to investigate, I was fascinated by the poor thing. I found a twig and as I placed it under the snake it hissed but was on it's lazzies. I placed it into the bush.

I'd love to see one in the wild here.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Streuth ! what were the RSPB thinking of ? I thought they preserved habitats not prepare them for housing estates.......................................criminal !

Honestly, that is exactly how the area looks now. Just like a housing estate is to be built there.

What you have to remember with reptiles is that unlike birds and mammals and even amphibians, they don't move on and reclaim some other ground. They lose their habitat and hibernation sites and they literally have nowhere to go, so they wonder around until predated or killed by people. They can't adapt or move off. They die. Right there. Every time this happens.

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
The other sickener is that the rain decided to turn up a couple of days too late. Is there any theories on what started the fire yet?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
It's pretty much a cert that it was started deliberately.

I have a hefty array of words I'd like to use but will refrain from doing so concerning the toe rags who did that. As with other members, it's our own bloody money that we shell out of our pockets each month which goes into preserving sites like this. It's a shame I have to work otherwise I'd be down there too.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well growing up and walking in the Lakes as a kid we saw adders fairly regularly. Loughrigg Terrace was slithering with them one year on a cub camp walk. They were practically every few steps at one point all heating up in the sun nicely. Just like us I might add. Cracking camp that. We all walked into Ambleside and bought sheath knives or lock knives that were significantly over the 3" or whatever it is. We were under 11 IIRC. The snakes made the trip really at first but later became a sort of "huh?! Another snake?" and you'd go off totally uninterested. I doubt it is like that now. Well for a start we don't seem to get the same really hot and dry summers. Also I reckon the adder populations have died back from then.

I've seen the odd one up in Galloway Hills before now. My first one in fact was laying on the path up to Merrick. Probably trying to warm up and stay dry as the place was pretty boggy. Now that was what I'd have thought was a pretty big one by snake standards. Really was a wider diameter than I thought adders would be, long too.

Anyway, RSPB is a single interest organisation but if you read their environmental claims about how they are raising money for projects around the world using headline species that aren't birds to raise the money too. IIRC There is something with tigers. Anyway they say by saving these species they save the habitats so that is why they join in with funding and expertise overseas. I wonder if they believe the same in the UK? Doesn't look like it in those photographs.

BTW I've done some clearance work near Garstang on IIRC Murley Moss. It was cutting back birch and other shrubs/trees to allow the heath I think. Long time ago but would that have been a wrong thing to do Jonathon? You've got me thinking that I could have been at fault with the BTCV work I used to do.

BTW was up in Knoydart recently saw quite a few lizards and the place was hopping with frogs in the hills. It was the lizards I liked to see. Saw a big one too, well quite big for the upland lizards I've seen anyway. Mostly see them in the hills over Longsleddale way in the Lakes and they are a lot smaller. Wish I'd had a ID book.

Used to love the sand lizards on French, Devon and Corshish beach hols too. ALthough way too quick for me to catch depsite trying. Same with the large adder at Glen TRool. Parents were glad about that. I asked for a snake as a birthday pressie that year. I wonder why??

Sorry reminincing. I do think snakes were more common in the lat 70s / early 80s. Its rare to see them now in the Lakes but perhaps as an adult I'm not into everything as much as I was as a kid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE