Watch Compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Was watching a repeat of Bear Grylls the other night (the Everglades one) - he used his watch as a compass, by pointing the hour hand at the sun and then finding the middle point between the hour hand and the 12 hour on the watch, which points south...make sense? does this actually work?

illumeo

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2006
Sussex UK
I can't remember, i think you have to make an allowance for daylight savings time if your watch is set to it (ie your watch has to be on local time, which is close to the local solar time). I am sure someone here will know. Any way in summer in the UK if your watch is on BST knock an hour off (i think)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Yes, it works that way if you are in the northern hemisphere. In the southern hemisphere, you point 12 o'clock at the sun and bisect between 12 and the hour hand. Halfway is north.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Was watching a repeat of Bear Grylls the other night (the Everglades one) - he used his watch as a compass, by pointing the hour hand at the sun and then finding the middle point between the hour hand and the 12 hour on the watch, which points south...make sense? does this actually work?

It works well,even with a digital if you can remember what a watch face looks like.:p

Take your watch and your compass outside and try it.;)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
It really does work and is reasonably accurate - certainly accurate enough to get out of trouble or settle squabbles about which way is north. There used to be a really expensive solution to the problem made by IWC in the 70s and 80s: a mechanical watch with a compass underneath. It was incredibly pricey because the watch movement had to be made from gold so as not to affect the compass needle. Daft but entertaining.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Whilst the watch compass method is a general indicator of direction, its accuracy is greatly overstated in the majority of survival texts.

The famous navigator Harold Gatty said of it "it is a great pity to destroy illusions, but in the case of the watch method it is necessary to do so because the apparent simplicity of the method may give a very wrong impression as to its accuracy"

It’s commonly around 30 degrees out, but at the lower latitudes it is possible for this method to be as much as 175 degrees off, that’s almost completely the opposite direction! Even in Europe it can sometimes be as much as 70 degrees out.

It used to be known as 'the Eskimo watch method', because for obvious reasons the one place this method does become feasibly accurate for navigation is within the polar circles.

the reason for this inaccuracy it the assumption that the sun changes its azimuth as a constant 15 degrees per hour (which it doesn’t), the methods inherent error is compounded by the fact that most texts fail to mention that the watch should to be set to solar time and even those texts that do state this, fail to inform the reader how to make such an adjustment, which requires that they know their longitude, the equation of time, the time zone their watch is set to and any daylight savings adjustments that it was using.

In short is a very rough direction indicator

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Here's a question, would the same trick work on or near the equator?

Edit: Stuart, I think you just answered my question while I was typing it, thanks.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
So its more accurate to wait for birds to fly south for the winter.

Stuart, if I were to try this method taking a bearing every hour would that result in me walking in an arc? or would it create a sine wave over the course of a day, mid day being the turning point of the sine wave, this must also link into tidal flow. Gettin a bit out of my depth here.

Pothunter.

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
after looking out of the office window here in 'sunny' Glasgow - is there a method of locating the sun using a watch :)

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Stuart, if I were to try this method taking a bearing every hour would that result in me walking in an arc? or would it create a sine wave over the course of a day, mid day being the turning point of the sine wave.

An asymetric arc I think, looking at the data I have here it appears that even if you walked at a constant speed for the exact same number of hours after noon as you did before, you would still not end up on your intended bearing. as the end of the latter leg of the arc is quite a bit higher (for the date and co-ords that I am looking at, somwhere in Texas on june 22nd) than that of the start.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE