Watch Compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
i have a timex compass watch and it does the trick for me. but i do know other methods of finding north too. i learned most of them from reading bear grylls book 'born survivor'.

by the way theyre not zombies in 'i am legend' theyre just infected with a virus. (not rage either hehe.)

david0607

Jan 20, 2008
liverpool
I teach Land Navigation on the Uniformed Public Services course (Level 2 unit), when explaining and demonstrating alternative methods for finding direction, no matter where I am there always seems to be moss all round the damn trees. With close inspection of the moss in these areas you can work out the best growth for direction finding, but its definatly not a true statement in as far as what side of the tree the moss grows.

robwolf

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2008
thetford norfolk
moss grows on all sides of the tree it all depends on how dark the woods are this particular survival trick was made up for a war film and people belived it.

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
lol - this is exactly how my wife and I navigated our way from Heathrow (while driving on the wrong side) onto some jumble of A, B, C,and X,Y,Z motorways!!!.

Diligence, "do I take the next left dear?"
Mrs. D:..."there are four lefts, this is a traffic circle!!!"
Diligence: "..okay then, do I go north or northwest?"
Mrs. D..."which way is north?"
.....and lo and behold, the wrist watch navigation field trials (whilst driving far too fast on the wrong side of the road, shifting gears left handed) experiment was born!

D

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Easy to test in theory - however, a bit more tricky in practice since we don't have featureless flat plains and predictable sunshine in the UK. Also, a twenty minute walk is really neither here nor there, and wouldn't provide enough of a test to put bushcraftbob's original question properly to bed, imho.
So, you've not been to my part of the country then?
The Fens are about as flat as you can get (I'll give you the sunshine thing though :D )

Mind you, navigating by church towers is an art form round here :lmao:

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
The watch method is not an exact science and isn't supposed to be. It's merely an indication of a general direction. Keep following South or even work out the general direction of the other points and it could help save your life.

Praetorian

Aug 1, 2008
West Midlands, U.K.
I've known about this method since I was about 8 years old. Learnt it from a Dad's Army episode, think it was Cpl Jones' suggestion when they were lost in the sea mist in a rowing boat.....

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
If you do not have a watch with you and the sun is shining, what to do is stick a twig or pole in the ground as upright as possible and mark the spot where the shadow ends, wait
for an hour and mark the end of the shadow where it is now. A line drawn between these two points will run true east and west. So North and South are going to be at right angles to this line. Great if you are not in a hurry, and not in Scotland like me where the sun only
stays out for twenty minutes at a time.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
If you do not have a watch with you and the sun is shining, what to do is stick a twig or pole in the ground as upright as possible and mark the spot where the shadow ends, wait
for an hour and mark the end of the shadow where it is now. A line drawn between these two points will run true east and west. So North and South are going to be at right angles to this line. Great if you are not in a hurry, and not in Scotland like me where the sun only
stays out for twenty minutes at a time.
No, they be roughly east'ish or west'ish. Not 'accurate' or true anything, and it depends on knowing several things, like real local time, solar noon, the magnetic declination of where you are. Knowing all these things you can use the stick in the ground to roughly point east west. (give or take 2 to 10 degrees) Only on two days a year does the sun rise in the east and set in the west.
If you want to know where you are, either keep a compass with you, or keep a compass and a spare, or use the position of the rising/seting sun, a sun compass, and a calander to show you where the sun rises and sets.

If you look at the image you will see that on the 27th June the sun will rise at 49 degrees from north and set at 311 degrees.
that day 27th JUne will be 16 1/2 hours long and solar noon will be 73 minutes after apparent noon.

Solar compasses are easy to make, don't weigh much and don't take up to much room in a pocket book or note pad.
If you take photographs a suncompass is great to have as it shows you roughly where the sun rises and sets. They are handy if you are lost, to check the accuracy of the stick in the ground. and with a bit more effort than I have shown can also help you to tell the time, or at least the time of solar noom.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE