Wasps!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
I've just taken out a nest in my front garden. I did try to phone up the council, but they were saying it would be at least 3-4 weeks as they are so busy this time of year with nests!

I used the foam-nest stuff from B&Q - about 6 quid a bottle. Looks like it worked, I had to go back a couple of days later for a second treatment, but loads of dead wasps hanging out..

If it is in any contained space I'd go for the professional option. Nothing worse than being trapped half-up a ladder, getting stung by wasps whilst trying *not* to fall down the stairs :rolleyes:

Bonzo Frog

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
Worcestershire
Hi Paul,

Like some others I've heard that Nippon powder into the nest is quite effective if not a little adventureous. This advice came from a pest control officer but was strictly unofficial, I guess in case there were any repurcussions.

Bonzo

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
The impression I'm getting from here and from other sources on the internet is that if the nest isn't causing me problems, I should leave it alone.

After reading this posting for the first time, I noticed quite a few wasps around one particular place in my guttering, so I'm suspecting that they have made a nest in the eaves behind the gutter, but they aren't causing me any problems. The loft has been converted to a room so I can't see from the inside so I'd have to lift tiles while standing on a ladder to check if there is indeed a nest. :eek:

My only concern about leaving the nest untreated is whether the wasps are likely to cause any damage to the structure of the house. Also, I'm wondering when wasps start to die off. I'm going to be having the guttering and fascias replaced in October (existing wood is rotting) so I'm not sure if the wasps will be a problem for the guttering people.

Any advice gratefully received.

Geoff

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
I've a funny feeling the people that come to fix your guttering etc may indeed have a problem with a hoard of wasp's trying to cause them as much pain as possible :rolleyes:
If we have a summer freeze and a foot or so of snow before october to kill em off then fair enough, but it's a proper gamble, maybe head down the bookys and put a bet on, you could end up paying the bill from the vast winning's :deal:

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Just an update on my wasp problem. I used a spray similar to that suggest by Red. It took a couple of days but it worked.

You can get smoke bombs for lofts and greenhouses.

Cheers for all the suggestions.

Oh by the way I would have preferred to leave it, but as they'd attacked the neighbour and as they were reasonably close to the front door I just could risk one of the kids getting attacked.

Pib

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I had a reply from the local council to say that they wouldn't remove the nest but that they would come and spray some powder near the entrance of the nest. This place http://www.trapawasp.co.uk/ sell a nest destroyer kit, including a beekeepers type hat /net, etc. which retails for less than the council were going to charge so I'm tempted to get one and do it myself.

As for others here, it seems that the nests can safely be left alone if they aren't causing problems - but with my guttering being replaced in October, I need to do something.

Geoff

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Just an update on my wasp problem. I used a spray similar to that suggest by Red. It took a couple of days but it worked.

You can get smoke bombs for lofts and greenhouses.

Cheers for all the suggestions.

Oh by the way I would have preferred to leave it, but as they'd attacked the neighbour and as they were reasonably close to the front door I just could risk one of the kids getting attacked.

Pib

Where can you get the smoke bombs for the loft? Thanks.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I found the smoke bombs for the loft in my local Garden centre, Homebase and B&Q were rubbish for any kind of pest control. They are defo worth a look.

Good luck. If you have a job finding any give me a shout and we'll see what we can sort out.

Regards

Pib

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
I once used a smoke bomb on a nest of W.A.S.P.'s - it was bloody effective. They all came running out of the church coughing their guts up! The Pope told me to do it.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
talking of wasp's my youngest got his first sting today :rolleyes: He is just turned 3 and was trying to play with mr wasp and it didnt want to play and bit back. His hand swell up immeadiaietely but when the wife put bite cream on she said the sweeling went down in secomds. He wont do that again I hope! As it turns out he's not allergic to sting's. Funnily enough when I was 3 I got stung about 6 or 7 times when I unwittingly disturbed a new nest with dad's wheelbarrow. Dad picked me up and run with me under his arm doing a jonah lomu type thing up the garden, I think I had some injection or somethin at the doctor's? But was Ok

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I would also like to point out that sticking a couple of thunderflashes taped together near a nest doesn't work either.

This i did when i was 8 with my dads surplus exercise gear.

We;ve got a nest above the bathroom, keep finding dead wasps on the sill. Not too many so i'm leaving them alone - for now.

Good luck finding something to clear them though

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
As it turns out he's not allergic to sting's.

Just a quick caution, it's often the second exposure to a protein, where a hypersensitivity is revealed. It's the first sting that would create the sensitivity but no reaction, then the second sting would create the anaphylaxis reaction. So to be sure, you really need to get stung twice ...with a bit of a time interval between em.

I am the wasp commando. I had to retire a diesel spigot at the ranch yesterday. It was overcast and cold, so the guys were all huddled around their nest under a bucket. (small nest, fist sized) I walked up and carefully took off the bucket and set it on the ground, exposing the nest on the spigot. I walked back, got on the ATV with a 4 foot bamboo stick. Put the ATV into high gear, rode up slowly, and lodged the stick on the post next to the nest. With a deep breath, I popped the bamboo into the nest and drove like mad!

Came back fifteen minutes later and stomped the nest and then ran like hell. Today, no wasps. ;) I can't wait till the freeze comes, we have a nest of bald faced wasps as big as my torso hanging from a tree by the driveway. I seriously want to cut it down and put it in a display box. it's amazing!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE