washing wothout water????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
you can "wash" with smoke, but it is more of the parasite repellant removal thing rather than a get clean thing. Stand over small fire with mugwort or aromatic herbs with a dress on so the smoke goes up. I like to bath in streams, generally no-one sees you this time of year. I dont pollute wild water with soaps. Otherwise learn to wash with little water and a cloth. I use rinsed out baby wipes and burn them after. I find flannels go funky.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
you can "wash" with smoke, but it is more of the parasite repellant removal thing rather than a get clean thing. Stand over small fire with mugwort or aromatic herbs with a dress on so the smoke goes up. I like to bath in streams, generally no-one sees you this time of year. I dont pollute wild water with soaps. Otherwise learn to wash with little water and a cloth. I use rinsed out baby wipes and burn them after. I find flannels go funky.

Not sure about this smoke thing, sounds pretty close to a smoke lodge where men get naked and 'bond'.... Although the OP does not like baby wipes they too have my support, Tesco fragrance free, 80 wipes for 25p.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Carry a spray bottle of water mixed with a little drop of scent. Keeps you feeling fresh. Or check out savers or superdrug I got some aftershave wipes and deodorant wipes from there.

Hi Lannyman, Globetrotter's idea works really well and is something I have been using for years...I would give it high praise.

Boots sell a small pump top atomiser spray that has a safety cap. It's 100ml (which will last for days...honest) made of very tough clear plastic. When I'm doing my own globetrotting I fill it up with about 90ml water and 10ml eau de cologne (not aftershave, I mean the lemony style 4711 or Boots own). I never thought to mention it in a thread before, but it really has been a very useful aid and something that is always in the essentials part of any packing list. Boots item code is 39-54-986. OK so it might sound a bit girly (sorry girls) but if you really are in need of a wash and brush up and water is scarce...this is your answer.

Good luck on your trip
Cheers
Sack

PS. Spray a little on a piece of TP and it will also refresh those parts that you get your hands off before putting on your socks!

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not sure about this smoke thing, sounds pretty close to a smoke lodge where men get naked and 'bond'...

Actually smoke bathing is in the Air Force survival handbook (as is sunbathing) I haven't tried either as a way to clean up but the theory seems sound; smoke to repel parasites as xylaria suggested, and sunlight to bleach/sterilize/cauterize bites, stings, and minor wounds. Not really the same thing as a "wash-up' like the OP was looking for though.

bearbait

Hi there lannyman8,

Unless you've got a hot date I wouldn't worry overmuch about "proper" washing for a day or two at your water-free camp. Perhaps the first thing is to consider the effort you put into your hiking - you say you'll be doing a lot. I like to hike with my body at the cool side of comfortable and adjust clothing and energy input accordingly. This also reduces your hydration demands as you're sweating less, and consequently sweating less into your clothing. Also I use merino wool base layer as these can be worn for several days without getting too skanky, unlike some man-made base layers which can last barely a day.

I hike a lot in bear country and consequently go deodorant, toothpaste and soap-free for several days at a time. (I believe bears like to eat nice-smelling people.) I find as long as I attend to my teeth (with water only), and after a hike my head, face, armpits, crotch and feet with a flannel soaked in a small amount of water I can feel good for some days. I think Toddy suggests two flannels, one for top and one for tail - colour code them if you go this route. I also occasionally use unscented wet wipes. If you use soap you need water to rinse it off.

The most important thing is hygiene during food prep and consumption and I use alchohol gel for this. Bombay bum in the boonies is not something to be countenanced.

One final thing, IME if you're hiking with a number of people over several days you'll probably all smell the same after a couple of days and the "clean" one will be ridiculed!

Have a great trip!

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
the problem is my kit will be very heavy with 6 litres of water 3 days food and the cold/winter gear, im going to sweat no matter what, just like to not stink of BO...

not that far each day about 10 miles ish... should be a good few days with friends, not the normal sitting in the woods next to the fire, or teaching, but some chill time before work again...;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Actually smoke bathing is in the Air Force survival handbook (as is sunbathing) I haven't tried either as a way to clean up but the theory seems sound; smoke to repel parasites as xylaria suggested, and sunlight to bleach/sterilize/cauterize bites, stings, and minor wounds. Not really the same thing as a "wash-up' like the OP was looking for though.

A prime example of where UK and USA humour miss each other;) I was taking the pee lol

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
ever tried 'no rinse moisturising body wash' ? at norinse.com. no affiliation blah blah. apparently cleans without needing water. get it in a range of bottle sizes. i used it when out of surgery when showering can be awkward!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
ever tried 'no rinse moisturising body wash' ? at norinse.com. no affiliation blah blah. apparently cleans without needing water. get it in a range of bottle sizes. i used it when out of surgery when showering can be awkward!

I was also thinking of something similar; the no rinse hand washing creams such as those used by mechanics.

BOD

Hear hear! In any case if you are alone there's no one to smell you.

Just came back from several days in Namibia with 4 others and 2 bushmen. Only had two wipe down baths while we were out but managed two showers in camps over 14 days. I thought i was quite fragrant!

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
Even if you dont have a full shower, you still need to wash the bits that get sweaty Like arm pits & Groin, other wise you can get a nasty sore rash.

Normally I put a face flanel into a zip seal bag with a bit of soap and water.

Chasing Rainbows

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2011
Central Scotland
I've tried scrubbing with damp sand a few times and it seemed to work very well. I certainly felt much cleaner but I have no idea if it improved my smell. Especially good for removing dirt or sticky sap from hands.

Woodsmoke is my deoderant :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE