Wash-in permethrin for clothes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
Had a conversation with someone the other day who said he used wash-in permethrin on his trousers to keep the ticks at bay (he was in a very infested area with Lymes disease). Quick searches of the usual outdoor shop web sites haven't shown me any likely products - can anybody give me any clues please?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The permethrin I get is from our local Army Surplus store and you simply soak your gear in a bucket of the stuff diluted with water.
John

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Make sure you wear appropriate PPE. As I recall, it is pretty nasty stuff. I'm sure itneeds disposing of other than tipping it down the drain!

100% right!

If you get caught tipping insecticides in to water ways (drains etc) then you will be facing a very very very big fine and rightly so.
Most insecticides will wipe out the aquatic population of a river with ease.

It should be noted that insecticides do not really repel insects but just kill them.

John

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I am curious why one would want to wash the stuff into clothing when spraying it on the outside works well and uses far less of the chemical. :confused: In order to wet the whole garment you would need a fair bit of water, hence a fair bit of permethrin concentrate. It might be the answer for truely infested areas, but it seems a bit of overkill for anywhere that I have been.

If you want the stuff, it is made by Nomad Medical and a Google search for "Nomad Medical permethrin net treatment" will pop up lots of places to buy it, look for the Bug Proof label.

arjuna

Jan 6, 2007
amstelveen
arjuna

whene you playing whit pesticide you most be carefill white the vaporization off the toxine ingredient

trust me i am a pestman

let the stilnes in your self give the aswere

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I am curious why one would want to wash the stuff into clothing when spraying it on the outside works well and uses far less of the chemical. :confused:

speaking from personal experience of using a pump-spray bottle - I should think there's a lot less effort in the wash-in method, as well as guaranteeing an even coating with no missed patches...

i'm not lazy.... i like to think of it as being "more efficient" :naughty:

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
Hi guys,

When I was in the army in the tropics we used a product called "perigen" I'm not sure of the spelling but thats what it sounded like, its actually sold to treat timber against termites and the like, but diluted down its used to treat mozzie nets and our cams against ticks and mozzies.

An alturnative is to smear a high DEET mozzie rep on all the openings on your clothes, ie: waist band, trouser hems, fly, sock tops, shirt button line and cuffs and collar, but keep the stuff away from your plastics like silva compasses and watch faces and plastinc eye glass lenses, clouds then up like no ones business.

This is just an idea that works well for me...

I hope this helps...

Cheers Karl.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE