Warthog's Birthday Bash

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
It was Russell's birthday yesterday so he had managed to get the weekend off so we had planned a weekend trip to Loch Lomond for him to get more practise solo in his new canoe. We were heading out on the Friday and Zippy, Stuart_Blink and a couple of friends of theirs were joining us on Saturday for an overnight stay.

Any time a trip is planned there is always a concern about the weather. On this trip we were hopeful it would not be too windy as Russell is still getting used to controlling the canoe on his own. well we need not have worried. It was perfect paddling weather all weekend.

Loading up the canoes was strange. We are used to having to shoehorn all our gear into one canoe. Having two canoes left us feeling as if we had left a lot of stuff behind. So here we are at Balmaha ready to set off.

15_04_07_01.jpg

There was a little wind as we headed to the island to camp but not enough to cause any problems.

15_04_07_02.jpg

Camp was set up in no time and knowing the weather forecast was good for the coming days we did not have to set the tarps to deal with any great wind or rain.

15_04_07_03.jpg

There were a lot of Canadian geese about and I almost stumbled on a nest when having a look around. The mother goose returned shortly after though so no harm done and it was far enough away from camp to not be a problem.

15_04_07_04.jpg

With weather this good and after a hearty meal of stew and potatoes Russell sampled the delights of a twilight paddle.

15_04_07_05.jpg

before we left the canoes to sit by the fire and chat, while watching the sun go down. A great way to unwind after a hectic week.

15_04_07_06.jpg

Next morning what little wind there had been disappeared. we set of for a paddle to gather some wood and get some solo paddling in before our guests arrived.

15_04_07_07.jpg

Russell is still getting used to the capacity of the canoe and benefits it brings so I should have been more specific when I said we needed more firewood :rolleyes:

15_04_07_08.jpg

Did I mention there was no wind at all ?

15_04_07_09.jpg

So camp ready for guests we paddled over to meet them at Balmaha. As there was three canoes between six of us we were back to being tandem, not that we minded. In these conditions being in a canoe is a joy in any format.

15_04_07_10.jpg

A quick stop at camp to set up another hammock and a couple of tents then we were off exploring.

The sun had broken through and there was a kind of haze about. Also did I mention there was no wind?

15_04_07_11.jpg

Being tandem again meant I got to relax and take pictures while Russell did all the work. Just don't tell him :)

15_04_07_12.jpg

Faster Russell, we're being chased !!!

15_04_07_13.jpg

The second island we went to was Torrinch were we found nice piece of cherry for carving. I also discovered I had picked up a Tick (my tally for the weekend was three which I think matched Marnia (sp) who was having her first Tick experience on this trip :rolleyes: )

15_04_07_14.jpg

Stuart, Susan, Marnia and Craig went to explore Inchcialloch while Russell and I headed back to check on camp. Once there we decided to carve a spoon or two. The cherry had a few splits and shakes in it but there was still a couple of section without that were big enough for a spoon.

Your feet can get hot in the muck boots so Russell demonstrated the approved cooling method as he carved :)

15_04_07_15.jpg

Once everyone was back to camp it was time to prepare dinner. we were having organic haggis, mashed potatoes and carrots. While the haggis was heating we had a visitor stroll into camp. Actually waddle into camp:rolleyes: A duckling that had got lost had heard us talking and had come to see if we could help it find its mummy. So out we went in search of mummy.

15_04_07_16.jpg

It took a while and our little duckling would occasionally jump in and swim along behind me but at last we found the parents. It took a while to get eh duckling to leave us and head over to its parents but eventually they were reunited.

Just as the dinner was ready. As I had brought the haggis Russell had brought the Heather Creme to wash it down. A wonderful meal. Good food and drink in a spectacular setting with friends.

15_04_07_17.jpg

Next day was another perfect day. Russell was regaled with a chorus of "Happy Birthday" then presented with a cake. He was pretty surprised that it had arrived in one piece but still managed to recover enough to eat some.

Then Russell had some more solo time in his canoe. Did I mention there was no wind?

15_04_07_18.jpg

Then it was time to break camp. It felt more like normal trying to cram all our stuff into the one canoe again :rolleyes:

15_04_07_19.jpg

Faster Russell, they're chasing us again !!!!

15_04_07_20.jpg

So it was back to the cars to load up and head home. I had things I had to get done at home otherwise I would have stayed to paddle for longer on Sunday but you can't have everything and I had not been short changed on the trip anyway.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
sxmolloy said:
Great pics, but just one question, was there any wind?
Only after eating the haggis.

Brilliant weekender and photos.
I am pleased Russell had a good birthday. I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate it.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Some cracking photo's there John, looks like you guys had a good time. Love the story of the duckling, esp where it didn't want to leave you.......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE