Warrior Buzzard

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I know how the bird feels, for the last 17 years I've had to put up with vision in one eye after having a lens removed from the other.
It's not that bad.

I've been nearsighted since I was 9 (about 48 years now) and it's gotten progressively worse over time. I have several friends and family who've had LASIK (particularly after the military approved it for flight crew and airborne) and were completely happy with it. But I didn't want to chance it at my age because I'm told it aggravates Presbyopia which also set in about 13 years ago.

Now I'm giving serious consideration to getting the Smart Lens Implants though; they're supposed to correct both conditions.

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Possibly. :(

Its mating season too and they will be building/rebuilding nests, and buzzards are very territorial. Could quite easily have had its face ripped off by another buzzard. :(

poor bird, looks and sounds like it may have been shot already, and not for a good reason....:(

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I've been nearsighted since I was 9 (about 48 years now) and it's gotten progressively worse over time. I have several friends and family who've had LASIK (particularly after the military approved it for flight crew and airborne) and were completely happy with it. But I didn't want to chance it at my age because I'm told it aggravates Presbyopia which also set in about 13 years ago.

Now I'm giving serious consideration to getting the Smart Lens Implants though; they're supposed to correct both conditions.

Smart lens?? Tell me more please. I have scarring on the cornea and a "fixed" silicon lens which is useless. It has never crossed my mind that medical science has improved since I had it done. Hell, I'm all for putting it on the line for experimenting/trials. Got nothing to lose.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Smart lens?? Tell me more please. I have scarring on the cornea and a "fixed" silicon lens which is useless. It has never crossed my mind that medical science has improved since I had it done. Hell, I'm all for putting it on the line for experimenting/trials. Got nothing to lose.

The term itself, "Smart Lens," seems to be a marketing term for the proper name, "Intraoclar Lens Implant." (IOL) The short story is that they remove your natural lens and replace it with an artificial one; usually done over here as a treatment for cataracts but sometimes for other vision ailments.The artificial one not only corrects the initial ailment (cataract, nearsightedness, etc.) but also is more pliable than the natural lens we older patients have; thus also easing age caused presbyopia. I don't know if it can do anything for a scarred cornea or not. I'll try to load a link www.trustedlasiksurgeons.com/lens_implants.htm

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
When you have lens implants you have to wear glasses afterwards, other wise you won't be able to focus artificial lens's just let in light & don't react as the originals could (i.e. they don't focus the image on the retina)
Dogs too can now have lens replacements should they develop cataracts, providing of course there has been no retina degeneration.(frequent in older dogs)
The artificial lens's won't alter cornea scaring but if you have really good implants & spectacles (or a monacle :)) you may not notice it as much...

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
When you have lens implants you have to wear glasses afterwards, other wise you won't be able to focus artificial lens's just let in light & don't react as the originals could (i.e. they don't focus the image on the retina)...

Negative. The Intra-Ocular Lens are fully focusing. That's the whole point of the surgery. Have a look at the link I posted. It explains how the lens are computor matched to the patient to correct his/her vision problems; click on the link and scroll down to where it explains the procedure for "Refractive Lensectomy (RLE) or Clear Lensectomy (CLE)" Neither of my cousins wear their glasses anymore. As I said, for them (and most people), getting rid of the glasses was the whole point. I belive you're correct about the scarred cornea though.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE