Warrior Buzzard

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
The other day i stumbled upon a buzzard and couldnt understand how i had got so close without it noticing me. the same buzzard turned up again today and i realised why. its missing the left half of its face including the eye. you can see all the bone and its also missing some flight feathers.

It stood its ground and just watched me with its remaining eye as i took a photo from a metre away...hardcore bird.

imag0827r.jpg

By wanderingpict at 2012-03-21

imag0814.jpg

By wanderingpict at 2012-03-21

Doubt it will last long but i did see it flying around the other day so im sure it can still hunt for now until something puts it down for good and it goes tae Vallhol ;)

Hamish

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Looks like it has brain damage or an infection like gangrene has set in...... to let a dog get that close (or a human come to that) means it's no longer capable of reacting .....as you say it doesn't have long to live, hopefully it's not in pain.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I also wonder whether it can't tell how far away you were without stereoscopic vision. Sad for it anyway but that's nature for you, I suppose

Dreadhead

oh right, i guess it definitly haant got long then as i doubt it cant hunt if i cannae see how close things are. it stayed there for atleast half an hour tree hopping. think its gone now though. i like tae think it got intae a scrap with our chickens :lmao:

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Very lokely NOT. That's probably why it allowed them to approach so close; it didn't realize just how close they were.

I don't think that's the reason.........close one eye & see if you can tell if something is close or not..:D
It could tell they were close but I suppose it just didn't register as a threat due to the bird's failing brain function..

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
One of the German pilots in Von Richofen's Circus in WW2 only had one eye (Boelke? summat like that), yet still managed to rattle up an impressive number of kills. One does adapt to the loss of one eye - which includes depth perception. After all, imagine how important that is to a fighter pilot!

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
One of the German pilots in Von Richofen's Circus in WW2 only had one eye (Boelke? summat like that), yet still managed to rattle up an impressive number of kills. One does adapt to the loss of one eye - which includes depth perception. After all, imagine how important that is to a fighter pilot!
Without splitting hairs Andy, you are one world war out.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Best thing to do is shoot it.

It will never adapt to hunting with one eye in the time it will have to live before it starves to a point it doesn't have the strength to hunt
. Its dead already.

wyrd bið ful aræd, eh Hamish ;)

( i use the quote as my sig on other forums, have done for years)

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net

Probably right for the bird, best not to do it yourself though as there's a whole can of worms opened up by shooting a protected species, even if it's done for the very best of reasons.

Anyone in the RSPB know if there's a route to take with reporting sick/injured raptors so they can be humanely dispatched without exposing the 'samaritan' to any legal fallout?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Aye, but any bird with one eye is as likely to fly into the ground as land on it, scavenging a dead rabbit could prove very fatal :)

Makes me wonder if it's on the branch it is, by intent or accident.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I know how the bird feels, for the last 17 years I've had to put up with vision in one eye after having a lens removed from the other.
It's not that bad.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I know how the bird feels, for the last 17 years I've had to put up with vision in one eye after having a lens removed from the other.
It's not that bad.

As a human who can support themselves without needing to rely on hunting and needing to avoid predators just to stay alive, then yeah one eye aint the end of the world. :)

Dreadhead

It will never adapt to hunting with one eye in the time it will have to live before it starves to a point it doesn't have the strength to hunt
. Its dead already.

wyrd bið ful aræd, eh Hamish ;)

( i use the quote as my sig on other forums, have done for years)

harharhar aye i suppose. if i see it again ill consider it. only got my bow as im nae fond of guns much but thats a whole new ballgame. just let nature take its course. who knows it may yet have a bionic eye fitted and become lord of the skies...atleast i hope so.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE