Warning re BRS Wood Burner and Boil in Bag Meals! (Or - How To Burn Water!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Some may recall the post that I made on the BRS wood burner earlier in the year.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144139&highlight=BRS+wood+burner

I've been using it almost exclusively two or three times per week since January (50+ times) and I have to say that it is proving very reliable.
(Be careful of practically identical copies at almost half the price though - Bad Amazon experience with second stove - not 'BRS' marked!).

I've gone through several sets of batteries but only because I have used the stove for things in addition to 'just' boiling water.

One of those things was the trial production of home made charcoal (in the field) with a view to having a more discreetly burning fuel for my future outings. In the shown set up it took a couple of hours to turn the baton'd larch deadwood into charcoal. Reeesult.

IMG_4667.jpg IMG_4668.jpg IMG_4679.jpg IMG_4683.jpg

On that next outing I used the charcoal as fuel instead of deadwood. Result - minimal smoke, a quicker boil and less run-time of the stove, theoretically therefore less use of the batteries. But..............................

Aaaargh! The charcoal burned so hot with the stove on full fan that it melted holes in the boil in the bag meal bag in the water and contaminated the boil water that I usually use for my brew-water (still did - ever had cauliflower-curry-soup flavoured coffee? :lmao:)

IMG_4707.jpg IMG_4709.jpg

Yes, I use a titanium cookset and yes - I know that they can suffer from 'hot-spots' but I haven't experienced this pierced boil bag with the fan on full tilt whilst using freshly baton'd deadwood.

But that led me to discover that with charcoal once the boil is achieved (with the bag in the water) I can run the stove on low fan setting and keep a steady, constant 'low' boil for the full ten minutes that I usually heat the meal up for as opposed to the periodical fuel resups necessitating full fan for a while. Reeesult after all. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE