WARNING: Raw flesh on the Barbeque

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Mole population soars due to poison ban.

The mole population has soared across Britain due to the ban on the poison used to kill them.
Pest controlers have said they could number up to 40 million although the most recent estimate is currently 33 million.

The rise is due to a ban on the use of strychnine, commonly used as a means of killng moles, as well as the foot and mouth epidemic which cut off rural areas from pest controllers leaving the mole population unchecked.

The British Traditional Molecatchers Register, which represents 300 mole trappers, has seen call-outs triple over the last two years.

Up to 1,500 people use the online director each week, an increase of 50 per cent on last year.

Brian Alderton, who established the register in 2007, said: "Ever since the banning of strychnine, and foot and mouth, moles have been a growing problem. In the past two years we've seen a massive increase in calls for help."

More in the link below.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/environment/7824780/Mole-population-soars-due-to-poison-ban.html

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Do they do recipes?

It always seems to me a terrible thing to kill a mole, even though they eat countless useful worms, and wreck gardens.

Ive handled moles I found on the surface (be careful; very strong jaws) and you have to admit they are one of the finest fur bearers ever.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
I watched a program about mole catching last week on Disc. Real Time or some such channel. It was a sort of low budget Countryfile, quite good though.
I remember seeing their burrows for the first time in Germany a long time ago and being mystified to what they were.
Talk of moles puts me in mind of a story about sloppy market research by a business here a few years ago.
B&Q imported and stocked hundreds of ultrasonic mole repellents in their shops over here but the only problem was that Ireland has no moles.
Happy trails...torc.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
i have seen someone handle a mole, LOTS of blood....

Heres me dicing with death on a recent trip to scotland :D . It was fairly spaced out to be fair, I found him sat on the road in the sun. I think he'd tunneled out of a stone wall and stunned himself. He went off fine once I put him back among some dead leaves and stuff. There were no gardens or fields to ruin up there so I figured he was doing no harm.

P1030329.jpg

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Actually , I think he looks quite happy , because , he's like waving...

Heres me dicing with death on a recent trip to scotland :D . It was fairly spaced out to be fair, I found him sat on the road in the sun. I think he'd tunneled out of a stone wall and stunned himself. He went off fine once I put him back among some dead leaves and stuff. There were no gardens or fields to ruin up there so I figured he was doing no harm.

P1030329.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE