wanting machete+wild campspots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I just returned from a brief errand. I was behind a big fat SUV with a bumpersticker that read "Buy American, the job you save may be your own." With that in mind,YOU buy british, specifically a Martindale. They come in several usefull patterns, have a fair sheath and excellent file for field sharpening. American military issue machetes are to heavy. Tramontinas from Brasil are decent and cheap. They also rust and dull just looking at them. Cold Steel copies half the ethnic blades of the world and manages to forget basic design criteria in each one learned from generations of trial and error.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Lurch said:
Anyone got a source for Martindale blades? Don't much fancy buying a crate of 72 somehow.

You can usually pick one up on e-bay but the quality of the seel is not great.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Martindale have a rather annoying policy. They won't sell within the UK! :censored:

I wanted one of their No.4 Jungle knives, was initially told I could buy from them for £12. Then told that they couldn't sell to me in the UK. The reason given was that some nutter went mad with a machete in a school just down the road from them. Not one of their machetes, but that still isn't the sort of publicity anyone wants.

They only sell a couple models in this country. Unless you are in the army...

I eventually got the No.4 from the US, $45, heck of a lot better than the £45 they were going for here! :yikes:

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
C_Claycomb said:
Martindale have a rather annoying policy. They won't sell within the UK! :censored:

I wanted one of their No.4 Jungle knives, was initially told I could buy from them for £12. Then told that they couldn't sell to me in the UK. The reason given was that some nutter went mad with a machete in a school just down the road from them. Not one of their machetes, but that still isn't the sort of publicity anyone wants.

They only sell a couple models in this country. Unless you are in the army...

I eventually got the No.4 from the US, $45, heck of a lot better than the £45 they were going for here! :yikes:

You can buy them in the UK through dealers, or as mentioned previously on ebay.

These people have an advert in the BTCV Conserver magazine and they list a Martindale Bush Knife (looks like a machete) at £16.50 with sheath and file, maybe they could get other models if you ask.

Envisage
Swindon
TEL: 017993 538822 (phone for catalogue)

Jason

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
jason01 said:
These people have an advert in the BTCV Conserver magazine and they list a Martindale Bush Knife (looks like a machete) at £16.50 with sheath and file, maybe they could get other models if you ask.

Envisage
Swindon
TEL: 017993 538822 (phone for catalogue)

Jason

Good call Jason, forgot about them, I've bought a few things from them and they provide a good service. The steel in these still sucks though (very soft), I'd get a decent bill-hook or khurki instead now.

B

Bex

C_Claycomb said:

I wanted one of their No.4 Jungle knives, was initially told I could buy from them for £12. Then told that they couldn't sell to me in the UK.

The same happened to me. I took my business elsewhere.

There's a discussion on BB at the moment about machete choices.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5600

My own personal choice is the Fiskars/Gerber/Wilkinson Sword Brush Thinner, which is a long handled billhook, constructed along the same lines as their axes. I've not had a chance to use mine yet but from past experience I think the design will do very well. At the price I've not seen anything of comparable quality.

BAHDog

Jan 7, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
I like the shorter machetes for the most part. They work as a long knife but have less blade weight than some larger knives.

I have;
the Martindale. It weighs 530 grams
the Ontario 12" Econo at 340 grams
the Ontario 18" Military at 540 grams
and a Military 18" I cut down to 12" and convexed the edge at 430 grams

I like them all for different reasons but the three shorter ones go with me more often. The Martindale is the heaviest per blade inch but I like the customizable wooden handle. The cut down to 12" (31 cm) Ontario Military model is one of my favorites as the 12" Econo is a bit to light and girlie for my taste in normal conditions. :lol: It feels like you could destroy it on anything other than very light vegetation. The Martindale is bombproof and will serve well but is the heaviest of the 12" class but bear in mind it is about 2 cm longer as well at 33 cm .

Left to Right; Martindale, Ontario Econo 12", Ontario Military cut down to 12"

12b.jpg

jonglow

Sep 29, 2004
devon/united kingdom
i have a martindale no 2 but am not to keen on it i also have one fron e-bay which is a british pattern it looks the same but made of better steel about 3" shorter a little heavier with a thicker blade in my opnion go for the army version :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE