Wanted-very old tent!

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hi I was just wondering if anybody has a very old tent they dont want anymore? it really doesn't matter what condition it is in, im just after the rough waterproof layer that acts as the ground sheet, I'm planning on making something and figured this would be the best material to use. Seeing as pretty much everyone on here has some form of tent I figured I might be able to salvage/recycle someone else's that they dont want/use anymore instead of destroying a new one :D:rolleyes:

Thanks

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
also might be worth approaching your local scout hut (by writing/phone) they often have cupboards of long forgotten kit. you could donate some money to that unit as they might not be able to sell it.

also try your local freecycle, basically people giving away things instead of binning them, we got a bread maker!

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
+1 for freecycle. my missus has had a few quality items off there in the past.
also i wouldnt recommend using an ipk sheet. i used one as a basha for my son and the bloody thing leaked like a sieve, they are definitely one time use kit unfortunately.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
i wouldnt recommend using an ipk sheet. i used one as a basha for my son and the bloody thing leaked like a sieve, they are definitely one time use kit unfortunately.

I've been using IPK's for years as groundsheets, never had a problem with them

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
im thinking of making a bivy, and just as a first try, so thought that might be a good thing to use because it's waterproof, i know it's probably not breathable and all that but im not too bothered tbh im just using it to keep the wet of the bottom of my kit when sleeping in that polish army lavu, or if im just under the tarp in a field. None of this only using a bivy bag, not keen on that idea :lmao: so what do people recommend now you know the purpose? IPK sheet, heavy duty tarp, etc etc....I want something dirt cheap aswell, hence why I asked for old broken tents...seeing as its just an experiment

Thanks for the advice :)

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
I've been using IPK's for years as groundsheets, never had a problem with them

I bought two kits from the same surplus shop. One of them I've used for over a year as a groundsheet and I can't fault it, other than a bit of dirt it's still in perfect nick. The other I've used once and it looks tatty as hell. So I believe they've been made by different contractors over the years and vary in quality.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE