Wanted: Underblanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Anyone got a winter underblanket they want rid of?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Buy a US army poncho liner. Super cheap. Covers a hammock. Newer ones (after 2000ish) are primaloft(ish) lined. Windproof and very warm. Cheap as chips.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Buy a US army poncho liner. Super cheap. Covers a hammock. Newer ones (after 2000ish) are primaloft(ish) lined. Windproof and very warm. Cheap as chips.

That might work with the addition of the crappy DD one. Have you got a link to what you mean? Don't want to order the wrong one...

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
It works for me! Here's a link to a used genuine poncho liner....

https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/...MI7eOkoN7_4QIV6ynTCh3XlQ_KEAQYASABEgJwKvD_BwE

I have one like this but in us army woodland camouflage. It works a treat for my hammock. Added bonus of being a brilliant lightweight sleeping bag (for +5 degrees C temp I'd say), a quick warm cover for a short stop, a hotel (bothy/hostel/far east job) blanket. Emergency sleeping bag, jungle sleeping cover..... the list goes on. I wouldn't be without it. So versatile. Even brought a second one with the plan of getting it altered into a hoodie. I can't recommend it enough. Much like my JervenBag. Which funnily enough I have used in combination previously........

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
It works for me! Here's a link to a used genuine poncho liner....

https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/...MI7eOkoN7_4QIV6ynTCh3XlQ_KEAQYASABEgJwKvD_BwE

I have one like this but in us army woodland camouflage. It works a treat for my hammock. Added bonus of being a brilliant lightweight sleeping bag (for +5 degrees C temp I'd say), a quick warm cover for a short stop, a hotel (bothy/hostel/far east job) blanket. Emergency sleeping bag, jungle sleeping cover..... the list goes on. I wouldn't be without it. So versatile. Even brought a second one with the plan of getting it altered into a hoodie. I can't recommend it enough. Much like my JervenBag. Which funnily enough I have used in combination previously........

How do you fix it to the hammock? Shock cord?

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
It has ties at all four corners and one each on the longer sides. I hang my hammock and then use the ties at either end to secure it to the hammock straps. Bear in mind I'm 5ft 5in and it covers me perfect. If you're over 6ft 5in I'd say it may be a bit short for you. 5ft 8in I'd say you'll be toasty. I guess you could use a prussick knot on each end if u wish.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Son is 4ftish. We have the DD underblanket and it's not quite doing the job. This plus the DD blanket should leave him toasty I hope! I've bought some shock cord as well and it should do the job.

Though if anyone has a winter down underblanket they want rid of still let me know!

I do also have a poncho, so I've bought a poncho and two blankets so that'll do to keep him warm and dry as well if need be. Always helps to be multipurpose. God knows what they'll think when we get on the plane with them :)

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I have spent a lot of time in a hammock. Mostly in the far eastern jungle, but also a fair amount of months in the UK. An under blanket is a good idea. In the higher altitudes in Malaysia it can get a fair bit colder, especially on the Ridge lines. Comparable to a summer in the UK. For best defence against cold in the hammock you should protect against the wind more than the actual air temperature. It will be the breeze that saps your warmth in a hammock more than the temp. Set your tarp in a diamond set up and tie the sides down low. This along with an under blanket is the best defence.

Reactions: Nice65

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Like this? ;) I do prefer curtains, I only have one 4x4.5m tarp that'll cover mind. Sam's is 3 x 3.5 I think. I'll put them up on Sunday to check.
d2c8ee54eb529739bc7bb311624c7e6a.jpg

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
This is the kinda set up I use. Both in jungle and in the UK. (But with a much tighter ridgeline ) although the tarp set up to the left will also work very well.
6fa6951b69d38d6d583fc3fbda0559ae.jpg

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
This is the kinda set up I use. Both in jungle and in the UK. (But with a much tighter ridgeline ) although the tarp set up to the left will also work very well.
6fa6951b69d38d6d583fc3fbda0559ae.jpg

Yeah not sure what they were up to there. Either Ross or Sargey.

hudd4444

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2019
Kent
Forum member by the name of Tom has underquilts for sale on page 3, listing is titled 'Huge lot of equipment'. I have bought from him and he is amazingly helpful, great to deal with. I had an awesome experience with him and have been eyeing the 3/4 one myself but currently on the fence.

Baz

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
For best defence against cold in the hammock you should protect against the wind more than the actual air temperature. It will be the breeze that saps your warmth in a hammock.

This. Last hammocking night out I had an Arctic Brit Army bag, but the wind swung round so it blew toe to top through the tarp. Though I wasn’t cold, I definitely felt it on my feet. I’ve had a couple of bad nights out with lesser bags where I felt like a gently drying chorizo or French Saucisson. I’ve got an army bivi bag in the cupboard, I must try it out. Zipping up the moz net makes a difference to wind speed, so even if I’m not in a mozzie location I tend to zip up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE