Wanted: Tilley Lamp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Question 1: Anyone got an old Tilley lamp they don't want? I don't mind if it needs a clean and new mantles but the glass should be intact. :D

Question 2: where the hell do you buy paraffin these days? :confused:

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I was gifted one of these by a very kind guy on SotP recently, the one on the left, and I must say I really love it :D You can get paraffin from a garden centre, still in use for heating greenhouses etc. Spares from you guessed it http://www.tilleylamp.co.uk/

IMG_0003.jpg

Cheers,

Alan

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Oil lamp oil about £1.80 ish a litre I think parrafin alot dearer and you can get lamp oil infused with citronella and keeps the mossies away + smells better.
Dvae

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Lamp oil works great in wick lamps, but tends to quickly block up vaporisers in pressure lamps (I learned the hard way :rolleyes: ) Just stick to paraffin and y:) ou'll have no problems

elevenses

Forager
Jan 7, 2008
cheshire
Sorry matey, I wasn't taking the mick out of you. Really, don't even consider petrol!

No worries did not take it the wrong way.

I Just took it as banter which is great IMO

Because I always ask no matter how silly I think the question to be, I do tent to attract a bit of banter. LOL :D

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I was interested in getting some paraffin as well, owning a small victorian night light. I found lamp oil, but they say on the box "paraffin ONLY" so whats the difference?

Can I put garden centre lamp oil in a miners lamp?

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Yes you can put lamp oil in anything with a wick but read what Rik posted as he is the authority on lamps and cookers. If its not pressurised ie a pump type mechanism should be no problem. Lamp oil can be got in £1 type shops parrafin can be harder to find and dearer.
Garden centres can be quite dear for lamp oil.....try Wilkinsons Morrisons.
Dave
Ps Disclamer My Dad doesn't own Wilkinsons or Morrisons.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Got it working almost perfectly now but it's hunting a bit (kind of like 'coughing' - can't think of a better way to describe it).

I don't think it's an air leak - possibly some carbon deposits. Someone told me you can use carburettor cleaner on the vapouriser but (a) I haven't got any, and (b) I don't want to buy a whole tin for one vapouriser.

Any top tips?

[Aside: Talking of top tips, saw one in Viz recently that made me chuckle: Rappers - negate the need of having to say 'Know what I mean?' all the time by speaking clearly in the first place' :D ]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE