WANTED, kent pattern axes and vintage Billhooks

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi folks.

I'm wanting to trade for some Kent pattern axes and vintage billhooks. Possibly a few of each. I have plenty of things to trade, blades maybe, possible cash if the price isn't too severe

What ya got guys??

Cheers
Mark

Last edited:

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I have a Gilpin Chip Chop Kent pattern with 4" edge but no handle. If you thought it was fair trade, could you grind/remove to form an edge on 350mm blade of untreated 01 tool steel. I had started it already with a belt dander but I'm not geared up for it properly. I show you pic first if you were interested. I'd also throw in a rolson axehead as well.

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi mate.

No handle isn't a problem, i'd prefer them without as i need them to trade with a chap in the US for cruiser axe heads, so handles would be getting removed anyway :)

Yeah show me the blade mate. Is it a scandi grind you would want on it?

Could i have pics of the axes too please? :)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Got a couple of Kent pattern hatchet heads if you're interested, need sharpening.
Can take pics to show any imperfections and general condition if you want.
Can't remember who made em. Seem to remember one being an Elwell but not sure.

There's a place fairly local that's often got them in pretty cheap.
Oh and there's often billhooks in there as well.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yeah definately interested mate, what would you want for them?

What sort of prices do you get them for at that place?

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Here we go. The Ellwell is a bit beat up but the other one (no name on it) is in quite good nick.

DSC01396.jpg

DSC01397.jpg

Slight ding on the hammer back of the no name one.
DSC01398.jpg

Here you can just see on the Elwell (the one on the right) there's a part of the eye where there's a bit of a defect and the no name one on the left has a ding that would be dead easy to take off with a round file.
DSC01399.jpg

The Elwell has hit something hard at some point and the last five or so mm of the edge has a ding but again that would come out with a file and a few mins work.
Both of them have edges about 90mm long.

I don't want much at all for them cos they were dead cheap, what you got that you think might be worth a trade?
I don't know prices for Billhooks cos I've never asked but I'd be fairly surprised if they were more than a tenner each, he's usually dead cheap. No idea if he has any in at the moment but he opens up again in Feb so I'll have a look for you if you want.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
They look alright mate. What sort of things do you need? A trade value would help :)

I can't remember exactly what I paid for them as they were with masses of other tools I bought at the same time but I'm sure it won't have been more than a fiver for the pair.
More likely three quid for the pair.
There was an absolute beauty of a felling axe head in there a while ago but I had my arms full of other tools and I'm not looking for felling axes anyway.
I got home, thought about it and when I went back it was gone.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Here is my two.

27012013960.jpg

I can't find the large knife (its in storage at my mums I hope), but i will find it this week. I was thinking of a cross between a scandi and a full flat, if my termonolgy is right, and if its acceptable to you.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Not sure what i have to trade mate, i'll have a look and see what i come up with. I do want them. :)

I can't remember exactly what I paid for them as they were with masses of other tools I bought at the same time but I'm sure it won't have been more than a fiver for the pair.
More likely three quid for the pair.
There was an absolute beauty of a felling axe head in there a while ago but I had my arms full of other tools and I'm not looking for felling axes anyway.
I got home, thought about it and when I went back it was gone.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Your not far from me, so when you find the blade, are you gonna bring them all over and i'll do the blade while your here?

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Not sure what i have to trade mate, i'll have a look and see what i come up with. I do want them. :)

There's lots of blades you make that I really like but don't worry, I don't feel that two beat up hatchet heads I bought for a few quid would be a fair trade.
Tell you what, three quid plus whatever it costs to post them to you sound fair enough?
Maybe if your mate in the US manages to make something good out of them I wouldn't mind seeing a picture?
I'm pretty sure I can pick up hatchet heads often enough in the local place and if I spot any good billhooks in there I'll take a few pics, post em up for you and you can decide if you want me to pick it up next time I'm in.
Its no hardship going into his place to look through the tools as I'm in there often enough anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE