WANTED: Cheap/Free Old used tarp/poncho/hootchie/cover thingy

U

unused[nl]

The title almost says what I want..
I am a bit embarrassed to ask in this way, but I don't have the money to buy a new expensive thing to sleep under, I want to sleep in the out in a few weeks. Going to give it a try as a ground sleeper with a sleeping back, a cover and some branches for insulation. It's summer so it shouldn't be so cold..
I hope one of you guys can help me with this, don't need to be new or totally clean or anything at all. Just water proof, a few holes to attach some kind of rope to it.
Thanks in advance.

Guido

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Maybe it's an idea to let people know what you've got on offer (swap) ;)

If there's no reply, you could also visit your local DIY (do it yourself) store, like Gamma, Praxis, Formido, etc. for a cheap tarp (usually available in 2x3 or 3x4 meter, in orange or blue / green combination. It'll make some noise if it rains and theres a hard wind, but it'll protect you none the less. This way you can experience what it's like to sleep under a tarp.

Failing that, there are also army poncho's available in dumpstores for about 20 Euro (and if you're lucky for less - tip of advice: visit the "Landmachtdagen" this summer, they usually have some kit for sale for people on a budget (saw a poncho last year - still regret I didn't bought it)). These also protect you when it's raining and you are on the move.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
A waterproof builders tarpaulin will probably cost less than postage of one to you from the UK, have a look there, then you will know more what you are after when you have a little money.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I’d suggest doing a search on your local ebay site for a “camo tarp” they are unbelievably cheap, something like eight or nine euros

U

unused[nl]

:11doh:

I feel stupid now! I think we may even have some of those things from the "Gama"

Thanks guys :)

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
You can use a piece of builders plastic sheet, free from a building site, or a piece of Tyvek, also free from a building site, and use small stones to help secure cordage to the sheet.

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Dutchies are taking over the forums! :p

Anyways, I think you'll succeed at Praxis etc, or at an army surplus store.

I'm going to make myself one of these when I get the right material (damn hard to find here in Holland)

bc2.JPG

http://www.jhatkhat.com/Khat/camping/bcdir/frame.html

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
not sure if they still have em but at "de vrijbuiter" in roden they had a nylon tarp for 35 euro's a while ago.

decent second best is the gamma/praxis/whatever polyester builders tarp :D , i tried one in the past and bought a tatonka groupbuy one soon after (thanks magikelly ;) )

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Goliath,

last year 'de kijkshop' in Holland sold similar hexagonal nylon tarps for 15 euros, including two metal tentpoles, pegs, six adjustable 4 meter lines and a carrier bag. Without the poles it weighed about 6-700 grams. Length about 3.20 meters. The shop sold them under the name "luifeltent" and the brand name is "style expedition" (article number is 101033). The only thing I didn't like about it was the skyblue colour. It worked fine above my hammock. It looks like they don't sell it anymore but it could be worth a try to ask.

I now have a 3x3 tarp from active leisure (40 euros, 8 attachment points and one extra in the middle on top) that gives me more dry space around the hammock and has the benefit of just 4 attachment points when used as a diamond shape. It has the same colour (forest green) as my cheap 'perry sport' hammock (10 euros!, nylon, 2.40 x1.35 meter, without ropes, it has its own carrier bag attached and folds up to a neat little package).

Tom

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Looks like you're sorted out something now, but i just came across this site:

http://www.tarpaflex.co.uk/product_shop1.htm

Fair enough, not the best ones on offer, going to be noisy and heavy but if you want something cheap..

"Economy Tarp
Tarpaulin - Size 3.5m x 3.5m
Single price £5.18 ex VAT (£6.09 inc VAT)"

..comes in a green too.

There's Camo one's too:
http://www.tarpaflex.co.uk/acatalog/product_shop2_camouflage.htm

"Camouflage Tarps - Size 3.5m x 5.4m
Single price £9.19 ex VAT (£10.80 inc VAT)"

Can't say fairer than that.... sheesh

U

unused[nl]

Thanks for the tips all!
@Giancarlo
great link! thanks a lot! Sad the site doesn't mention shipping outside UK

@Galemys
I checked the kijkshop site.. no selling of tarps any more. Also tried to check the site of active leissure but the tarp section wasn't working

@Porcupine
I hope there will be an other group buy by magikelly;)

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I have a spare army poncho. If I remember correctly it has lines to. You can have it for free if you pick it up. I live in Eindhoven, Netherlands. Two rings ( for attaching lines) are ripped out, but that's eailly corrected. If you're interested mail me ( spiegelreflex@gmail.com )
The poncho you can have for free, but if you want to have it shipped you have to pay the shipping costs.

Cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE