Wanted - Bushcraft type Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leezo

On a new journey
May 5, 2008
GeordieLand
Hi guys, I'm after a Axe but not bothered on make. I want it to be fairly light and no longer than 18" but prefer 12" and will be mainly using it for bushcraft and similar activities. Dont want to spend stupid money so keep it reasonable please. PM pics and prices aswell please

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
I use this one:

http://www.varuste.net/tuotetiedot2.asp?_prodid=1502&_omin1=0&_omin2=0&_omin3=0

"Retkikirves" is expedition/foray axe.

It's fairly light and the belt pouch is useful when wandering around, looking for something to cut (keeps your hands free), although you might not want to hike all day with it smacking your backside :)

Some say it isn't as well balanced as a wooden handled one, but I haven't had any issues.

The blade keeps its edge well and cutting firewood is effortless, you can feel the weight of the head and the sharp edge actually doing much of the work for you, rather than having to fling it around like a maniac.

In summary, a good balance between cost and usability.

Hi,

the axe that susi mentioned would not be the best choice for bushcraft due to the axe head being a wedge fitted through the handle meaning it is held in by the impact of cutting with the axe, this means you cannot use the back of the axe to pound with as the head would pop out and pounding is an important use of the axe.

I know they are abit pricy but the Gransfors Brucks Small forest axe is the way to go -

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/index.ph...-Small-Forest-Axe/Detailed-product-flyer.html

they really are worth it and will last a lifetime if properly looked after and they are not very heavy.

also the light weight handle make it more difficult and tiring to use as there is no counter balance from the handle.

or if you want a smaller on the wildlife Hatchet isnt bad.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Tell you what Leezo, you can pop down and have a look at my SFA,Wildlfife Hatchet and my reclaimed "heavy razor" if you like and then make up your mind from there.:cool:

I've also got a couple of "utility" knives for you to look at;)
cheers
R.B.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Pounding with the back of an axe head is not recommended as it will cause the eye of the axe distort, making the axe handle loose and a bugger to replace. If you need to hammer stuff take a hammer ;)

Pounding with the back of an axe head is not recommended as it will cause the eye of the axe distort, making the axe handle loose and a bugger to replace. If you need to hammer stuff take a hammer ;)

Only if you pound on metal or stone, not really an issue if you only pound wood for example bashing in wooden pegs or snare pegs.

of course never pound a metal wedge or anything.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Just for the record, I've used my Fiskars to put tent pegs into hard ground, and have had no problems. The head does not come loose, in fact I think someone once explained that it is held in by moulded lugs, meaning it's very securely attached to the handle.

But Matthew is correct, the Gränsfors is a good tool, not cheap, but sturdy. As well as how sensitive your wallet is, it also matters how weight sensitive you are. The Fiskars is probably half the weight of the Gränsfors, so it depends what you want to carry.

Just for the record, I've used my Fiskars to put tent pegs into hard ground, and have had no problems. The head does not come loose, in fact I think someone once explained that it is held in by moulded lugs, meaning it's very securely attached to the handle.

But Matthew is correct, the Gränsfors is a good tool, not cheap, but sturdy. As well as how sensitive your wallet is, it also matters how weight sensitive you are. The Fiskars is probably half the weight of the Gränsfors, so it depends what you want to carry.

yer, if weight & cost is a major concern try the Fiskars or something similar, for about £20 it doesnt matter too much if it breaks/doesn't work for you or whatever..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE