WANTED: - Bushcraft/Expedition Watch.

Hi all,

I need a watch for bushcrafting and the odd expedition. Not sure what is on the market and don't know where to start.

Obviously needs to be waterproof and pretty rugged. Looks not important. User replaceable battery handy.

Would like:- Altimeter, Barometer, Compass plus other functions would eb a bonus.

Any advice? Or anybody have anything they no longer need?

Cheers,

Phil.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
altimeter and barometer???

Where are you off to???

Personally, I'd just buy a good rugged watch like one of the tracer ones and add a little watch strap button compas from silva. I may even have one knocking around if you want it, I can have a look. It won't go on my watch :(

Where are you off to???

Personally, I'd just buy a good rugged watch like one of the tracer ones and add a little watch strap button compas from silva. I may even have one knocking around if you want it, I can have a look. It won't go on my watch :(

I've got a few things planned for this year and next ;)

The Silva button compass sounds interesting - if it's easy to find that is.

Cheers,

Phil.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I'll have a root around tonight... my watch is a diving type loop thing so I had no way to slide it on.

I'm a big fan of keeping things simple and much prefer a mechanical watch as they can handle temperature and moisture extremes better and the automatic/kinetic ones seem to work very well. also, if ever I get caught in an EMP blast i'm safe :lmao:

Miggers

Forager
Dec 31, 2006
Oxford
Hi Phil

I have a Suunto Vector for the reasons you mention. Not bad, but compass not too reliable and the crystal scratches too easily... I occasionally use for fishing, the barometer is useful but dont trust it for "rough stuff".

My choice now is Seiko 200M automatic diver or Traser, cant remember which model, but 6 years with same battery. Both are very readable in the dark, the traser especially, you can use it as a dim torch.

Miggers

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk

That's pretty much what I have....a NITE MX20 with a little compass I put on the strap....give me a few mins and I'll get a piccy up ;)

You can get the MX20 here (no relation to me other than I bought one and they were cheaper than most places I tried):

http://www.shop.edirectory.co.uk/penrith_survival/55/mia/d/nite+mx20+watch/pid/3285345

Cheers,

Bam. :D

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Here you go:

Watch001.jpg

Watch002.jpg

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Oh Bam, you're such a pervert! Still like my watch better though :lmao:

Anyway, I found my little compas thing if you want it Phil... let me know.

Cheers,

Joe

BOD

Squidders is right. Keep it simple and have a button compass.

I have a CASIO pathfinder with all the functions including depth gauge. I bought it for casual diving so I need not bring my dive computer along but it is meant to be an expedition watch.

It works fine but I rarely use the barometer and altimeter and the other functions. I would not rely on the altimeter to do contour navigation (because you would forget to calibrate it at the start of the trip!) and in hills and mountains the barometer will not tell you anything that your eyes, ears and cheeks can't.

A big drawback ,if you are going to be using DEET, is that your watch face and strap will be affected by the DEET so it won't stay pretty for long

leon-1

Phil I would think that everyone will give pretty much the same advice. Get a decent watch with hands and forget the gadgets.

One of my favourites is a Swiss Army Watch, it's been robust over the ten+ years I have had it and still works fine, although I may need to replace the face of it.

Where are you off to???

I second the Trazer watches But you only Get Time and Date but with the Tritium illumination you can read it in any light (infact you can read a newspaper with it once your eyes get used to it )
the Titanium ones are very light and some are even smart enough as a dress watch like mine but its still at home 45m below the sea. Oh and i still havent managed to scratch the glass after several years they dont normally last more than a month or 2

No bells n whistles though sorry :(

ATB

Duncan

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have a Casio protrek 50 i think,

Basically its got all the toys you mentioned and its pretty bulletproof. It solar charges its internal battery with a bold statement of never having to replace it which is pants ! I had to replace mine as it would not keep a charge and kept going to sleep but once i did it has never let me down since (did it my self with help froma forum and bat was about a tenner). I bought the watch second hand of ebay with a smal scratch on the front for about £50 i think. Previously i had a Casio gshock also a great watch.

Hope that helps :)

M

Mungo

Traser all the way for me, I've had mine over 7 years now and it's still going strong. It's the only watch that's lasted longer than six months around me.

In that time I've had Casio pro-treks, Suunto's and numerous other smart and shiny bits of kit, but nothing beats the Traser for build quality and durability. Forgo the gadgety bits and get yourself a Traser and a button compass.

First off - many thanks for the help and advice.

Having had a good thinkabout what I want and what I need was interesting. Yes I do like gadgets :eek: But then the essence of bushcraft in so many ways is K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid)

So I have decided to go for just a tick-tock watch that has decent illumination of the hands and hour marks, in this case GTLS (Gaseous Tritium Light Source) which looks pretty good.

I've broken far too many watches to warrant spending what I consider to be a lot of money and I wanted something that I'm not going to be too worried about scratching, breaking etc.

So I've just ordered a watch from Nite http://www.nitewatches.com/ (no connection to the company etc) I liked the look Bams watch as detailed in this thread but £190 was more than I wanted to pay. Nite's website has a clearance section and I've picked up a MX30 for £70 with a leather watch glove that covers the dial for another £12. http://www.nitewatches.com/viewdetails.asp?ID=67&nomouse=yes

Admitidly the clearance watch I've bought doesn't have the latest Swiss made movement and I would have prefered a finish that was not quite as bright but with a £120 saving I'm not bothered :D

Once again thank to you all for your help and advice - it helped me to make the decision :You_Rock_

Phil.

BOD

So I have decided to go for just a tick-tock watch that has decent illumination of the hands and hour marks, in this case GTLS (Gaseous Tritium Light Source) which looks pretty good.

Phil.

Well done Phil and welcome to the KISS fraternity:rolleyes:

Although I have the fancy CASIO the watch on my wrist is usually a old tick tock SEIKO watch.

Being able to read it at night is so important as you point out. Don't forget the button compass's illumination too

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE