Want to make my own Woodlore?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

donkeyporge

Dec 9, 2003
Wigan
Hi
I want to have a go at putting together my own knife from a kit but i only really like the woodlore shape! I just wondered what the closest blade to this would be and any links to suppliers. Any pics of any homemade woodlores you may have done would be welcome in this thread also.

Am going mad waiting for my PackPal to arrive (sould be finished this week)

Thanks in advance

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Well, not exact copies of the woodlore pattern, but close enough:

Eklund 1: Carbon steel, Paduk handles

eklund_carbon1.JPG

Eklund 2: Carbon steel, Snakewood handles, red spacers

eklund_gerard3.jpg

Eklund 3: AEB-L stainless, teak handles

eklund_knife3.JPG

Eklund 4: Snakewood, carbon steel - one of my favorites in handling

eklund_sw2.jpg

In general, this blade pattern can be obtained from Eklunds site Both the stainless and the (UHB20C) carbon blades are good quality.

-Emile

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Donkeyporge,
Dave Barker on Britishblades.com was kind enough to point me in the direction of www.smie.no a Norwegian hand forger of good quality blades - prices seem very reasonable around the £20 mark. It would appear that we are about to embark on a similar path, I intend to make a few knives from kits - then progress onto just buying the blades. Something like a Woodlore, but tailored for only me, then maybe a few for friends, family, neighbors (where does it end?)

Eraaij, thanks for posting those images, very good looking knives, simple construction, and useable rather than show-pieces.

ATB

Ogri the trog

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I'd also recommend Eklund blades but mine has a secondary bevel and does not lend itself to woodworking in the same way as a Woodlore.
410_1023_1z.jpg

NIce as it is it ain't a Woody.

I have been speaking to a British maker who makes a "Woodlore" copy about having a quantity of blades made to sell on as kit's but i am still waiting for a sample blade for evaluation.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
rapidboy said:
I'd also recommend Eklund blades but mine has a secondary bevel and does not lend itself to woodworking in the same way as a Woodlore.

The first ones I got from him came with a secondary bevel. But he will grind the blade with a singe edge bevel on request. Good that you pointed that out. He standard also grinds them slight hollow, but -again- on request, he can do flat grinds too. I believe Hoodoo has a flat ground blade from Eklund.

-Emile

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE