Want some flint?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lanarkshire is fertile, just inclined to be wet :rolleyes: Lots of market gardens in this area before the advent of cheap imported fruit and veg.
Am I the only one who misses when tomatoes tasted like tomatoes and carrots smelled like carrots?....and spuds were not some generic white ? Strawberries were either Summer fruits or jam, and plums were a juicy, incredibly sweet glut of fruit at the end of August :D
My soil is rich, black and crumbly...on top....but if I don't add masses of organic stuff it reverts back to clay :sigh:
The fancy tiles that lined the closes in posh Victorian Glasgow buldings were made not half a mile away from me, it's good stuff, and there are Neolithic pots found just along the valley that date to at least 3,000 bce and they're still sound.......but no flint. We do get some chert, and good chert is as good as if not better than mediocre flint. In much of Scotland if you find flint you know someone took it there and typology can tell us much about the past when we do find it.

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep - I miss nice veggies too Toddy - strangely BB was potting on yesterday and we started putting the early veg out during the day to begin hardening off

The tomatoes already have the proper "tomato plant" smell :)

Here have a sniff

2304339786_9d9e5dfa3a_o.jpg

2304341192_14b3cbb40d_o.jpg

Red ;)

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
We do indeed Sean - Indeed the rocks and chalk grow well in the clay <sigh>

Still I shifted 12 barrows full of compost onto the veggie patch today. Eventually I hoep to develop something known as "soil" :D

Red

You need good soil?
No problem, my mother drowns in the stuff in her garden.
A parcel of 5kg will cost me &#8364; 17,- to the UK and can be arranged in exchange for flint! :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
One of our Geography Dept. field trips to the Vale of York came home three tons heavier. The stunned look on the Geog profs faces as we climbed aboard the bus cuddling boulders of flint......half the class were also doing Archaeology and the Vale was hotching with flint :rolleyes: :D :approve:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE