Want some flint?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
In some areas flint is very common. But three tons!!!

Reminds me of an island in Florida famous for its beach that is entirely made up of beautiful shells. Some guy started selling sacks of these shells on Ebay (essentially selling the beach!) until the local authorities put a stop to that!

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
My home town of Norwich has entire buildings made from flint, there's tonnes of the stuff locally. Grimes Graves (I think mentioned in one of the RM episodes) isn't too far away which is a prehistoric flint mining site, worth a look if your ever that way.

3 tonnes would last any self respecting flint knapper a fair old while!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know, all joking aside...there's a business opportunity there.
There are an awful lot of us who live on flint free land who'd like a big chunk to play with.
Sell it by the kilo at the Wilderness Gathering :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
There are an awful lot of us who live on flint free land who'd like a big chunk to play with.

cheers,
Toddy

Thats an idea, I've got a few thousand tonnes on stock at the moment:rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Go on then......how much ?
Unless you have time on your hands though it'd probably be a pain sorting, bagging and posting the stuff :(

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. I just got a pm and have been given a lump by another member who lives nearby :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What Steve said. Our cottage is made of the stuff :). Postage will kill yah on a big lump though. I have knapped flint and steel sized pieces for a few guys but can't think of any way of posting a big enough piece to knap a hand axe etc. at a sensible price.

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
840119449_237530f354_o.jpg

About that big :)

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks

cheers,
Toddy

Y'know I was thinking exactly the same thing but I have nowhere to store 3 tonnes of the stuff - let alone collect it!

Dr O

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Remembered this thread when I was developing a blade core this morning. This is one of those pieces from the field - just for once :rolleyes: it went neatly :D

2301188039_555ce72033_o.jpg

Like I said - this place is rotten with the stuff

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What we need is a bartering network of folks who drive around the country :rolleyes:

That looks like nice stuff Red, :cool: but I tell you, I see that and imagine soil full of it and give grateful thanks for my Lanarkshire clay :D even if it does get a bit soggy.

cheers,
Toddy

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
What we need is a bartering network of folks who drive around the country :rolleyes:

That looks like nice stuff Red, :cool: but I tell you, I see that and imagine soil full of it and give grateful thanks for my Lanarkshire clay :D even if it does get a bit soggy.

cheers,
Toddy
we've got clay too

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We do indeed Sean - Indeed the rocks and chalk grow well in the clay <sigh>

Still I shifted 12 barrows full of compost onto the veggie patch today. Eventually I hoep to develop something known as "soil" :D

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE