wander in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Hugo, Rockmonkey and myself enjoyed a great day out in the woods today, didn't really do a great deal, but we did have a laugh - few pics

Our destination

DSCN0262.jpg

DSCN0263.jpg

DSCN0264.jpg

yup, it's a double gate

DSCN0265.jpg

in the woods at last

DSCN0266.jpg

DSCN0267.jpg

DSCN0268.jpg

DSCN0269.jpg

DSCN0270.jpg

Brew time

DSCN0275.jpg

DSCN0272.jpg

we found a load of timber that had been cut down by the idiot mountain bikers we have to endure around here, they cut the trees down leaving four to five foot high stumps, just so they can make banked turns and jumps, thing is, they are not supposed to be here

The Estate has even gone as far as making a dedicated number of MTB runs in conjunction with the local MTB Group, these runs are all well built and well maintained, but no, the idiot brigade cant be seen to be conforming and instead think it's much more fun to desecrate the woodland for their own selfish end, thankfully, i have permission from the Estate to remove the high stumps on safety grounds as they and i, fear that one of these pillocks will pole axe themselves one day when they fall off and hit a high stump they have left, so i remove them and get to keep the wood, so i guess it's not all bad.

The timber we used this time was taken from a felled Ash, so rather than waste it, we used it.

first job was to section it up into usable chunks and then to split it, only problem was none of us had bought an axe with us, not a problem, just make a Glut - problem solved.

DSCN0281.jpg

and then Hugo went a splitting

8.jpg

99.jpg

9999.jpg

Time for a bit of lunch, i had a nice curry to cook up and in the process stained my spoon a nice shade of Turmeric Yellow

DSCN0293.jpg

after lunch and a couple more brews we decided to go for a slow walk out of the woods and head back towards home, which of course entailed going up hill and walking away from the cars initially, well, as you do.

past more evidence of timber being felled to make illegal jumps and ramps, albeit, some of it was felled a little while ago

DSCN0294.jpg

and banked turns made from felled trees, of course leaving 4ft high stumps, as seems to be standard.

DSCN0298.jpg

the sun was now starting to sink below the hills and the temperature was dropping so we carried on up the hill into the setting sun

DSCN0297.jpg

and then a left turn to head back towards home, looking out over the valley we had walked up some hours earlier

DSCN0302.jpg

then down the path towards home

DSCN0307.jpg

was a great day out and the first time ive been out with H & RM for a few weeks as i had a knee injury that stopped me in my tracks for a little while, now the knee is healing up well, i can at last get out about again, roll on next week.:)

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Lovely walk and woodland, and nice skills as usual.

I'm firmly of the opinion that there should be a hunting season for illegal scramble bikers (only illegal ones, mind you). Something on the lines of 1st Jan to 31st Dec is about right. We might be able to make something useful from the leather hide afterwards too :)

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
A great time today Kepis mate, thanks for posting this up and also the video on U Tube.
That glut was the bees knees, I never had thought such a little wedge would do so much work with just a couple of taps.
Roll on next week if I can make it.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Great photo's mate, as always!
Like the youtube video as well!
Another great bimble with great company and lot's of laugh's!
Roll on next week!!

RM

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
Lovely pics.... but but... why no curry shot? (never let it be said Im ruled by my stomach)

shame about the rogue trail building, like all walks of life theres some good and some bad in every group.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers people, it was a great day out, loads of laughs, loads of brews and a few skills as well - cant be bad:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE