Walnuts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Looks like it's going to be a good season for them this. I preserve a load in honey, any other methods of long term storage?

The 'husks' with their powerful staining ability - is that really iodine in them or is it just coincidence that they smell of iodine and stain yellow?

Realgar

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
The 'husks' with their powerful staining ability - is that really iodine in them or is it just coincidence that they smell of iodine and stain yellow?
Well spotted :biggthump
The hulls/husks of the walnut (the bit around the nut) do contain organic iodine...... hence the reason tincture of black walnut was used once upon a time as an antiseptic and was also used externally for ringworm in the past. I believe they also used to drink it to kill parasites within the body... :yikes:

:)
Ed

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
the husk tastes foul! I might have to have a play and see if I can actually extract iodine from it, there's a limit to how much of the waste you can turn into wood stain.

Cheers
Realgar

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE