Walnut mites

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
The walnut tree near mine is covered in what I think are mites. There are lumps on most of the leaves, the fruit looks ok but wondering if they will be safe to eat this year and if the tree needs to be chopped down. Any advice

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I don't see why the nuts wouldn't be ok to eat unless they're so damaged & will taste bitter but there isn't a health risk eating them.
Nor is there any need to cut down the tree just because it has an attack of walnut gall mite & providing the tree is vigorous & healthy the damage is only aesthetic.
Hot, dry conditions favour the mites so if you hose down the tree from time to time during hot spells (if possible) you will help control the spread.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Aye don't be talked into someone "taking it down" for you. So many folk have lost walnut trees as the timber is so pricey that unscrupulous tree surgeons let greed take over.

franglais

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2013
France
Don't panic, they will be killed off by the first frosts, burn the leaves as soon as they fall, as for eating the walnuts they should be fine, trust your eyes and nose.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Contact your TPO (Tree Preservation Officer) at your District or County Council for FREE advice. Also it will keep him informed if there is to be a epidemic withing the area.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE